Electric Generators

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by upliftmofo, Dec 14, 2008.

1. upliftmofo

upliftmofo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does anybody have any recommendations for a small portable generator that could run a couple 300ws heads?

2. Pure

Pure TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You know this is going to hella loud? They are loud as hell, unless you put them far far away, or it doesnt matter.

3. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  4. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    on small gas generators, they are all pretty similar, they are all loud. One with a Briggs and Stratton or Honda engine are pretty good, all small engines have a life of about 2000 hours, most engines can be rebuilt, however there are some honda OHC engines that are not rebuildable, the OHV models typically are rebiuldable, but That could have changed. That is all prettymuch a moot point if you cannot rebuild it yourself, otherwise its cheaper to buy a new one. Get one that has an easy regulator adjustment so you can compensate for voltage drop if you use long runs of cable to keep the generator at a quieter distance. Always meter power at the end of your cable run before you plug anything into it.

5. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are going to use a generator, you may need to clean the power before using it for your strobes. I believe it's a Pure Sine Wave Inverter that you would need.

8. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For the same price as the generator if not less, you could do the Vagabond system and it would be a whole heck of a lot quieter.

9. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    people are mentioning the V2 powepack - which is hands down the way to go.. if you're using bees or white lighting monolights. but, if you're using a flash head that feeds off of a powerpack (like profoto 7b - which are something like 2000w/s) a generator would be the way to go.

since you're asking about generators, the honda line isn't really that loud at all, and are very reliable. I mean, if you're out in public firing off strobes with 3 or 4 people around you, chances are that you'll draw quite a bit of attention anyway hah. you'll need to get a permit to use it though - not actually to have it running, but because of the space you'll be taking up with your lights, cords, etc.

10. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The V2 works with more than Alien Bees and White Lightings and I did mention made for monolights. The V2 has been tested with Elinchrom digital monolights and would probably work with pretty much any monolight out there. Of course, bigger lights get less shots, but a claimed 1200 pops at full power with the B800 is pretty good.

11. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

You mean something like this.

http://www.profoto-usa.com/products/pro-7/pro7b.asp

I shall repeat myself then: "Clean electricity, quiet, affordable, environmentally and model friendly."

Anybody actually dragging flash heads and power bricks around really ought to look into either alternative power as posted above or monolights and something like the V2. Flash head, stands, multiple cables, power brick(s), generator, gas, lots of extension cords etc. do not make for a convienient shoot.

12. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

The Honda generators are not loud at all! Even some of the chinese knock offs are well under 60db now. You can have a normal conversation standing right next to it, and not be bothered by it at all! Honda's also puts out stable power. Well under 3% (electronics safe). This is where the knock offs differ. They are upwards of 5-6%. Honda makes a 1,000 watt version that is quiet, compact, and fairly light. But you pay for it. Also a 2000 watt, and bigger 3000 watt in the really quiet ones. Yamaha also makes I think a 1,200 watt one that has similar numbers to the small honda. And then there is lots of copy cats. But the quality differs on them

I have 2 knock off ones. They both start on first pull, quiet and the first one dependable for 3 years even though only occasional use. Not as quiet as a Honda, but can be right next to it with no problem. Just got the second one.