Electric Generators

Hi I'm new here I have a question and some confusion and perhaps someone will be able to clear up.

I see there are some ppl whom have knowledge of Alien bee vagabond II system. I am looking for a viable portable power supply for a day 8 hours of shooting with a dynalite 500. I have looked at the Vagabond system and a Honda Gen.

Questions,
How many batteries would a vagabond need for 8 hours of operation, at say mid range around 250 w/s over a day of use?

What size generator would be needed to power a 500 Ww/s pack (about 6000 volts) and how much power for a 1000 w/s pack (about 15000 volts)?

gryphonslair99 I don't actually understand your point...
"You mean something like this.
Pro-7b | Profoto USA

I shall repeat myself then: "Clean electricity, quiet, affordable, environmentally and model friendly."

What is the difference between Pro and Vagabond ? Both use lead batteries, I just don't get why a Vagabond is so much better environmentally. They technology of the battery is almost the same. If it were a bigger job or if I had not sold off my old profoto heads I'd likely buy a 7a 1200 the big brother of the 7b you quoted. It is hard to look at specs... the vagabond @ 960 w/s @2.7 seconds as the pro in max (1200w/s) power max output is 0.08-0.07 seconds. That is WAY fast. It is too bad that the price tag 3-5 times more.

Environmentally speaking lead batteries are lead batteries. I am also not convinced that a high efficiency 4 stroke gas generator is much worse that the coal power plant that make electricity from my wall. 15 hours of power from one Gal of gas is quite good.

Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your question but the length of your shoot (8 hours) matters less than the number of shots you take (number of flash pops you need). Some shooters could make a Vagabond last all day...some could probably wear it out in a couple hours with the same equipment.

What about a vehicle? You may be able to use a vehicle to keep a battery pack charged up, rather than using a generator.

You might want to check out the competition for the Vagabond II, the Tronix Explorer XT, which also offers the convenience of a piggyback battery that can be hooked up for long shoots.

Innovatronix Incorporated | Explorer XT

This sine wave inverter/battery pack can handle power packs up to 2400 watt-seconds, and has two built-in power outlets. The Explorer XT is also a 24 volt battery system, while the Vagabond is a 12 volt system.

If you need added capacity, the Tronix Explorer XT is clearly the better choice. It costs more, but it has higher capacity and better specifications as well.

I have not looked at the Tronix Explorer XT I did check with a mechanic about running off the alternator. I remembered Dynalite had a thing years ago but apparently it is very hard on alternator to the point of needing to replace it in a short time. I am unsure if that is totally true.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back