Electric Violin Build - Mitica will be interested in this one.

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to re-build my Yamaha Electric Violin.
I didn't like it very much, it was almost un-playable.
Other than being extremely uncomfortable, it had a lot of noise in the background. (due to cheap electronics)
After talking with my brother he said that he could put together a good pre-amp that wouldn't make any white noise and would sound better.

So, I started taking apart my violin... As I was taking it apart I noticed how simple it would be to re-build it. That way I can make it so it fits the normal 4/4 violin chin/shoulder rest. (making it a TON more comfortable)

I had a blank of flamed maple in my room that I wasn't going to use on any guitar(it was too small for a guitar) I was just saving it for small blanks... maybe headstocks or something...

I just took a few snapshots of where I am at in building it.

Here they are!

The top will be carved after I finish the back carve.
eviolin_2700.jpg

the neck is not glued on, I just set it there so you could see the length of the instrument.

another view of it:
eviolin_2699.jpg

The top of the body without the neck on it.... The old body of the violin is that piece of spruce sitting next to it. So, as you can see... it is a definitely an improvement!
eviolin_2701.jpg

Here is the back of the violin.
eviolin_2696.jpg

That is only the rough carve, it will all flow together once I'm finished. The darker wood is Mahogany.

eviolin_2697.jpg

The lower bout(large, bottom portion) of the violin is hollow. This is for weight and electronics.

Here is the access hole so I can get to the electronics... (the battery will be in there as well)
eviolin_2698.jpg

After I finish carving the back I will need to glue on the neck. After that I will drill for the electronics/tailpiece.
When that is done I will carve the top and final sand it all.

Then, I'll string it up and make sure it works...

If it works then I take it back apart and start the finishing process. At the moment I'm leaning more towards a blue/teal burst.(transparent so you can see the wood.)

I still haven't made up my mind on what I want the color to be.

Hope you like it so far! It's going to look and sound great when it's done.

Chris, you rock, man!!!

Question: would you entertain the idea of making it a 5 or even a 6 string instrument? The lower strings (C and F in this instance) would add a deep, bass like feel, they sound awesome amplified.

What kind of bridge do you use? Piezo?

There are so many good pre-amps on the market, you should also consult the Chadster (aka Voodoo man).

Rock on, guy!

This violin is going to be simple... 4 string, piezo pickup, with a pre-amp my brother and I will build. (we have been building pre-amps since we knew how to solder)

Since I am using the neck from the yamaha, I don't have much choice in adding an extra string.

So, perhaps in future violins I will go for more strings and a more complex pickup system. I am in need of a good e-violin, so I am trying to get this done as soon as I can. :)

As you can see, I'm using Zeta's body shape, but it's different in the carve and thickness etc...

Chris, you know how much I love when you post this stuff, and how much I'm in awe of you and Daniel's talent in this sort of thing....so....thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see the progress!

Thanks Corry :)

I need to find some time to work on it! I've been doing too much computer work lately... :p

I think I'll go work on it now, it's really nice outside.

I got a few more photos of it just now...
I've been working on it on and off... I've been loaded down with other stuff.

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

Those things on the top are little sound ports... I needed something else on the top of it since it looked a little too plain before.

I need to glue on the neck later today... then finish carving it... make sure it plays... and finish it. :D

I just glued the neck on... Thank God it's straight! lol (I hate gluing necks on for that reason....) :er:

Lookin' good! ;)

I just took a few more photos...
IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

I just set the hardware on the violin so you can see what it's going to look like.
IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

I'm probably going to stain the maple dark blue... maybe... I'm still not sure yet.
But I know it's going to be a dark color.

A few more pics from this morning...
I'm going to finish the carving today and have it ready for finishing by tonight. :D

IMG_2896.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

One of the scroll... I changed the design a little. :D
IMG_2900.jpg

Hope you like it!

Most reactions

Back