Electricty issue

clockwurk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, sorry in advance if this is a dumb questions, but I'm fairly new at this...

I'm planning to buy this and set it up in my apt as home studio:
Interfit Stellar X 1000 Flash Two Monolight Twin INT445 - B&H

I wanted to know if there is anything I need to modify in my home, electricity wise so that it doesn't blow out a circuit or start a fire or something. I wanted to cover my bases and make sure I'm doing things correctly because I dont know anyone locally that can guide me to set this up.

Any advice would be appreciated, including buying a different kit.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a lighting expert, but I wouldn't think as long as a flash is it would be a problem. The modeling lights say 250 watt and those would be the one on any amount of time. My toaster is almost 1000 watts, and I like toast, so it stays on a while. lol My microwave is 1800 watts. You should be fine. You could put a GFI in if you were really worried, they're only like 5-10 bucks.

I think you'll be okay with two, 1,000 watt-second monolights...Ryan's toaster probably draws more amps than the capacitors in these monolights draw, since their recycle is spread over a few seconds, whereas the toaster is drawing current more or less for 2 minute straight AND I have it on good authority that RYan ALSO runs the microwave at the same time, re-warming last night's coffee on days when he's running late WHILE he's making toast!

The specs say that they require a 15 amp circuit. As long as you don't have to much of a load on the circuit you should be OK. If your going to set this up in a studio, I'd recommend having a "dedicated" circuit installed. That way there would never be an overload. (retired electrician)

lol, thanks guys. I really appreciate it. :)

Agreed with Nod.
Make sure the circuit you chose doesn't already have a large load on it. Make sure there are no window AC units, refrigerators, space heaters, or other high current devices on the circuit.

Most reactions

Back