Elinchrom EL-Skyport Question

I currently have Cactus's. They work just great for me now, but i wll probably upgrade eventually, for reliability reasons.

I'm not seeing it.. I'm not going to look anymore though because I want to get something I can rely on right away since I've done good amount of research.

Thinking about making the 40d my next camera. I'll see where the 5d is when the new one comes out.

The only real differences between the two is the PW's have a longer range than the skyports. Also the PW's look a lot more durable. I'm afraid I'd break the skyports pretty quickly.

well that's another factor!! I might just go pocket wizard because I won't have to ever really upgrade. Thanks everyone.

I only want for now the ability to power 1 580ex and 2 sunpak 383s. Is this to much equipment?

Can I use 2 Pocket-Wizard Plus IIs to do this?

I just might order this in the meantime before the RP's come out. :)

I only want for now the ability to power 1 580ex and 2 sunpak 383s. Is this to much equipment?

Can I use 2 Pocket-Wizard Plus IIs to do this?

Nope. 1 remote per flash, 1 transmitter per camera. No other way to get around it. The link that I provided is for 3 flashes and 1 transmitter (each PW-II is a transmitter AND receiver, though only one at a time).

PWs at that amount are: 4 X 189 = $756 + shipping. Helluva difference!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Wizard_801_125_Plus_II_Transceiver_Radio.html

I think I'd suffer from buyer's remorse if I put in $800 for simple radio triggers for my needs! $400 is already close to that for me!

Sorry about that. I'll check those links again. I might go the skyport way again than.

1 Transmitter and 3 receivers for 4 something sounds more appetizing than 756.

I was reading shutterbug mag last night and saw pulsar units. I can get 2 of them on B&H for 274.95. I'm still looking though.

I know the triggers will work with TTL flashes but will triggers sync with each other?

i.e 2 pulsars, and 1 pocket wizard fire in sync?

No, you cannot mix and match.

Also, NO other triggers will give you off camera TTL other than the Radio Poppers. That is their claim to fame. All triggers can work with TTL flashes... just not in TTL mode... lol

Asthetically, the PWs are the least offensive, and I feel that the radio poppers will look the ugliest with the Skyports somewhere in the middle.

However I am going to need some form of wireless triggers by June as I am seconding/ghosting in my 4th wedding and I was asked last night how my off-camera flash skills were. He also asked if I was interested in ghosting during the rehersal (just to get some extra practice), the morning preparations of the couple (day of wedding), and pre-ceremony as well as the standard wedding and reception scenarios.

I said yes without thinking about it. Looks like a great chance to see the whole enchilada in action... awesome!

I was sitting here thinking... I could get the PWs today for something over $800, but for an extra $150, I could have an 85mm F/1.4 Nikkor prime. Or I could get the Skyports and be a good way ahead in saving for the 85mm. More decisions to think about.

OK but by themselves the Pulsars will fire the Sunpak 383s?

I want to make sure I read this correctly. My problem is I think i'm over researching. I don't just want what will work I want to get stuff that I'll be happy with and can build on top of.

Since the Sunpak 383s can be slaves if I put my cheap sunpak from best buy on top of my camera fire it will it set off the other 2?

OK...nevermind I see that it says I can add one.

Now if while waiting for the triggers could I use onboard/my current POS flash to fire a 420EX/580EX?

OK but by themselves the Pulsars will fire the Sunpak 383s?

Since the Sunpak 383s can be slaves if I put my cheap sunpak from best buy on top of my camera fire it will it set off the other 2?

Ok you *are* over thinking.

First:
Do you want to go 100% wireless or 50% wireless and 50% optical triggering? For me it is one or the other, no in between mamby-pamby playing around. If I am going to go optical trigger *or* wireless, go all the way in ONE direction. No mixing and matching.

Second:
Forget the Bowen Pulsars, they are identical performers to the Skyports and more expensive.

Third:
Make a decision! As far as I am concerned, there are only 4 players here:
- PWs
- RPs
- SPs
- cheap optical triggers

That is it. You seem to need wireless, right? Stick to the SPs unless you want to pay double for the PWs.

If not, go optical all the way, it works fine at home, and quite well outside as long as there are no other cameras with a flash on them to trigger your strobes. If this is the reason you want wireless... go all the way!

Think about what you REALLY want. Don't kill yourself looking for 1/2-way solution, and stop over thinking it... this is REALLY simple... just 2 questions to answer:

- what do you want
- what can you afford

That's it!!

Thanks Jerry. I needed a snap out of it.

I might go optical because I can always move on to triggers once my shots become less controlled.

:)

IF thats what you want, then this is the BEST choice for you. Optical triggers are what, ~ $10/each?

Most reactions

Back