Elite XC/MMA photos from last night.

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was at the CBS/Showtime Elite XC fights last night. First off, being a fan of MMA since way back at UFC 3, seeing it ringside is a completely different experience. I was just to the left of the red corner so I was right there. Sweat being punched onto me(gross), corner men yelling right next to me(awesome).

Second, holy moses it was hard to shoot. I had to manual focus because of the cage which made me lose a number of what could have been great photos. Would have been much easier to shoot if it were a roped ring.

I was there to cover a specific fight, so I was only on the clock for the one fight. So I own almost everything I shot. But I needed to conserve space so I didn't shoot as much action as I would have liked too. I mean, during the fight I was there for I shot 290 shots alone, so full coverage of the other fights would have used all my space. I didn't get too many good action shots of the other fights. My position was kind of bad too. I was right next to one of the cage supports that the camera men stand on so I had a large blind spot on the right side of the ring that almost every fight spent a lot of time in.

Limitations aside, it was tons of fun. Met a lot of "celebs;" John McCarthy, Anderson Silva, Frank Shamrock, Phil Baroni(he's a jerk). I hope I can do it again some day. Maybe do a little better with the experience I didn't have for this one. And I got to watch myself on TV. That's always fun.

exc07io5.tif

exc06se5.tif

exc05mi3.tif

exc04cn8.tif

exc03tn2.tif

Knocked out:

exc02xk2.tif

My View ;) :

viewns8.tif

*WARNING: NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH: Click to view:

My pass. Got it signed by Big John :D But they got my name wrong.

I love my job.

Last edited:
got some nice shots there, well done.

what speeds were you able to shoot at under that lighting?

Thanks, Sand! I shot at ISO 2000 @ 1/500-3.5 and then ISO 1600 @ 1/400-3.5 later in the night.

Last edited:
great shots man!

cyborg kicked the crap out of that girl....cant wait for gina to fight her.

was that bloody aftermath from one of the undercards?....i noticed they ran the undercards on showtime (which i dont have)...so when i tuned in, the mat already looked like a murder scene, so i knew i missed a good one.

i was meant to shoot at a local event here in NH on the 23rd, but i just found out im in a wedding on that night...lame.

you have a kick ass job!

you dont happen to be shooting fedor vs. arlovski are you?:hail:

Sweet shots! And I am sooo jealous of your job! :biggrin:

Nice shots Dan. Were you shooting for a website or newspaper?

I'm a writer for MMAWeekly and I've been working on improving my photography skills.

Nice Dan. Great shots. How did you get this job?

Thanks, everyone!

Nice shots Dan. Were you shooting for a website or newspaper?

I shoot for a newspaper, but we have a website. I posted a link above wito the story with some more shots in the slideshow

Nice Dan. Great shots. How did you get this job?

I'm just a daily rag photog. Been at the same paper since 2003. As far as how I got it I just turned in my portfolio and they hired me.

Thanks, everyone!

I shoot for a newspaper, but we have a website. I posted a link above wito the story with some more shots in the slideshow

I'm just a daily rag photog. Been at the same paper since 2003. As far as how I got it I just turned in my portfolio and they hired me.

Nice :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back