Elk C&C please

pony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think of these?
Are these weaker because he is missing his impressive antlers?

4009233398_c52b63c110_b.jpg

4009237872_c1f2434250_b.jpg

Personally I would've liked to see the antlers. Nice and crisp though.

just curious did you edit these? where did you meter for the pics?

They look a little dark like if you put them in lightroom. I would also have liked to see the full antlers, at least in the second one. The first you could have got in real tight on his face. Other then that they do look really nice and crisp. I think it's awesome that he was looking right at you in the second pic.

just curious did you edit these? where did you meter for the pics?

I do not have any type of Photoshop, the only editing I can do is in flickr so really basic stuff. Mostly cropping and rotating. I can do some basic contrast saturation, etc but that is it. I'm asking for PS for X-mas though :)

I looked at the histogram real quick. I opened it up a smidge, but apparently not enough? It was just starting to rain and I had my 2 1/2 year old running circles around my ankles at the time so I was kind of hurried and distracted.

They look a little dark like if you put them in lightroom. I would also have liked to see the full antlers, at least in the second one. The first you could have got in real tight on his face. Other then that they do look really nice and crisp. I think it's awesome that he was looking right at you in the second pic.

I had to crop the antlers because while I was running for the gap in the fence I was shooting through chain link and you could really see it terribly in the pics.
They were super nice animals though, and were barely bothered by me at all. I was a little worried when the big guy looked straight at me :lol:

It is drizzly out here today and I always have white tailed deer in the yard so I may go practice in this light some more right now

I can't comment on colour, light or dark as I'm on the work computer, however, WOW you must have been close or have a super lens. The photos are beautiful, but I do think with an animal as majestic as the Elk, the antlers are of utmost importance (unless it was a cow).

AMAZING!!!!

Just curious though, what's going on in the upper right corner of the 2nd pic?

What do you think of these?
Are these weaker because he is missing his impressive antlers?

Wow!

1) The shot would benefit from showing the entire rack.

2) Lighten it up a bit to show more detail. Lightroom-2 "auto" works just fine.

I can't comment on colour, light or dark as I'm on the work computer, however, WOW you must have been close or have a super lens. The photos are beautiful, but I do think with an animal as majestic as the Elk, the antlers are of utmost importance (unless it was a cow).

He was probably only 40 feet or so from me when I snapped these
I really tried to get around the fence in time to get him while he was close, but by the time I got a nice unobstructed view he was cruising away

What camera/lens did u used? they look amazing
Thank you so much!
I was using a Lumix L1 with the kit lens

AMAZING!!!!

Just curious though, what's going on in the upper right corner of the 2nd pic?

There is something in the upper right of the first pic too :(
I was shooting through a chainlink fence. I cropped out as much as I could, and added a little vignette to disguise the remnants of it (though not too well apparently LOL) . I have been busy today, but tonight I was meaning to see if it was possible to crop a little more to get rid of it. We shall see

Wow!

1) The shot would benefit from showing the entire rack.

2) Lighten it up a bit to show more detail. Lightroom-2 "auto" works just fine.

So bummed about his rack. The only pic I got of him full on (without the stupid fence separating us) was when he had moved much too far away from me. It's a pretty shot of a large field and a teeny grazing elk in all his blurry far away glory.

I do not have any photoshop of any kind. I wish that I did. If anyone knows a way to lighten it up using the flickr photo editor I am all ears.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried to practice today to work on lighting because the conditions in my yard were very similar, but of course I had no deer today. They have been here every day eating apples from my trees and tormenting my dogs. The one day I really want them here they apparently have something better to do elsewhere

Last edited:
For those that wanted to see the full rack...
If you look real closely :lol:
4009212166_dfe0ab5ef8_b.jpg

I haven't used it myself, but have you tried using GIMP?

I have not. I have heard it mentioned a few times since joining this forum. Seeing as it's free I may have to give it a whirl

I haven't used it myself, but have you tried using GIMP?

I have not. I have heard it mentioned a few times since joining this forum. Seeing as it's free I may have to give it a whirl

I used it for months before I got PS. GIMP is by far the best free image editing software there is. I'm very sure it will more than meet your demands. Give it a shot, after you get use to it it's great.

As for the images, I think the 2nd is best.. I like having some of the antlers in the shot but I'm not sure if it HAS to have all of it. To get all of it since they're so large you would have had to sacrifice some of the detail by stepping back or zooming out. I personally think it's fine the way it is.

Most reactions

Back