EMERGENCY: lighting question

itsanaddiction

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have alien bees lighting (2)...and I have a shoot that won't have electricity. Is there a way to "make" or buy a cheaper portable battery pack? The one on their website is $300.

Thanks

You can go out & get a pure sine wave inverter and hook it up to a car battery. But...PSW inverters are not cheap. Yes, you can save a few $$ by doing it yourself, but the Vagabond II is a very nicely packaged setup for what they are asking.

I have a converter for the car...is it powerful enough ya think? I do like it but the shoot is Thurs so I'll never get it in time. They just told me today

I have a converter for the car...is it powerful enough ya think? I do like it but the shoot is Thurs so I'll never get it in time. They just told me today

Does it say "pure sine wave" on it? If not, I would not use it. Second, look at the power tags on your light, it will tell you the 120v wattage requirements....you will need an inverter able to handle the combined wattage of how ever many lights you will be using.

I've been building a portable battery system for my AB lights. It's not any cheaper than a Vagabond though. Only difference is that mine will be half the weight (but with a short battery life).

You can order a Vagabond and have it shipped overnight. You still need time to charge it up, but I believe it comes with a car adapter so you can charge it up if you are driving.

Do you have any good photo stores near you? You might be able to rent a portable battery.

Another option is to use a generator. I believe the preferred brand is Honda.
I know that some people have plugged their lights directly into generators, but I would personally run them through a pure sine wave inverter first. THIS is the one that I bought, but THIS one is a little better.

...I have a shoot that won't have electricity.

I gotta ask.... what will you be shooting?

-Pete

Perhaps he's been commissioned to shoot photos of the original Civil War. They didn't have electricity back then. That would sure be a cool assignment, not only because of the requisite time travel, but I bet you would come away with some pretty cool shots.

...I have a shoot that won't have electricity.

I gotta ask.... what will you be shooting?

-Pete

Perhaps he's been commissioned to shoot photos of the original Civil War. They didn't have electricity back then. That would sure be a cool assignment, not only because of the requisite time travel, but I bet you would come away with some pretty cool shots.

Matthew Brady scooped him ....

See? You guys may be on to something. He might be able to get by with some flash powder.

But seriously... that's why I asked. I wonder if something smaller... something battery operated might suffice.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back