Emergency Services/Fire Ground Photography

STICKMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are there any members here who are fireground photographers??? Such as fire, ems, police scenes etc. I have played around for a few years now with fireground and such. As a retired firefighter I find it interesting to see things through the lens now versus being in it........ Was looking for anytips or tricks to photographing these types of things. There is always so much to deal with , lights, smoke, fast moving objects and things that change from second to second. So if anyone out here can help me out im all ears.......... Thanks

I'd actually like to know how you can get engaged in doing such a thing... I assume most firefighters wouldn't want you anywhere near a fire?

I am a retired firefighter/Lieutenant so thats how I have my end covered. However most departments are more then willing to set something up with you so long as you prove that you can folllow orders and not get in the way or over step your boundries. So long as you operate in a safe manor most places would be more then happy to have you taking photos for them. As firefighters we rarely get to see our selves in action, photos and video serve many purposes, training, C C, memories, department history and such. If interested stop by your local fire department ahead of time and explain your interest. You will know right off the bat if they are for it or not. NEVER just push your way on to someones scene with out permisson doing so can land you locked up. Some deparments may even make you a dept. photgrapher and issue you some form of id/gear/etc in exchange for your services. This mean coming out to drills(training), Calls, Functions(parades etc). Once you get involved you will be hooked, the work these people do is amazing and to have the chance to catch in on film video etc is amazing.

Here are some of my shots from a fire monday night;
http://www.pbase.com/kennyvp/holly_ave_pitman_nj&page=all

Take a chance and contact your local fire house iif you think you are interested. Good Luck and feel free to ask me any ?'s about this you may have. I will try my best to help you out......

Interesting set, STICK. Seems you got over/under exposure as much under control as you might expect, considering the circumstances. Looks like your AWB handles WB pretty good, doesn't it? Or did you shoot RAW and are these jiggled WBs? And I think I can see you did a fairly effective amount of levels, brightness, and contrast tweaking.
But TBH there are too many (partly) out-of-focus images for my liking there. Many due to subject movement by slow shutter speeds, so that makes sense. But why keep all of them in that display selection?

Have fun!

Stick, thanks for the tips. Our local volunteer fire dept is probably a great place to start. They get VERY little activity but are all extremely nice guys. I'll bop down sometime in the next couple weeks and chat with them about it.

The photos are untouched, as you see them is how they were taken all were shot in forced no flash auto, and sport mode no flash. Again no editing was done to these photos........

As for why all the pics displayed on my site. These are there so members can pick any shots they want. I also provide a disc to each responding company at no charge. This allows any outside assiting department to also get some pictures and alows me to intruduce myself to them and offer my services.

As for why all the pics displayed on my site. These are there so members can pick any shots they want. I also provide a disc to each responding company at no charge. This allows any outside assiting department to also get some pictures and alows me to intruduce myself to them and offer my services.

Slick!

I guess I should also point out this was only my second day with that camera, Nikon D-40. So I was out of my element as far as gear went. This was a step up from my prior p&s fuji s3000. Overall I shot about 260 photos that day. approx 130 at a memorial day service in the morning and then the rest at the fire late that night.

I feel so lost with this camera....... Classes are going to be a must...

The photos are untouched, as you see them is how they were taken all were shot in forced no flash auto, and sport mode no flash. Again no editing was done to these photos........

That is remarkable. Especially when you look at for instance 97730981.mCoUM8DU.EastHollyAveDwelling120.jpg and its EXIF data.

97730981mCoUM8DUEastHollyAveDwellin.jpg

The EXIF says, a.o. things: Contrast: Soft, and Saturation: Normal. Those were the in-camera settings at the time of exposure. Yet the image I see has hard contrast and high saturation. Decidedly different from what you would expect from the EXIF. How did that happen then?

(Yeah, I love CSI...:lol: )

GOT ME!!!!! every thing you just stated is greek to me(no pun) .... Could there be something wrong with the camera???? Now you go tme worried...

But those are of course past masters at manipulation. So that fits!

Try using a tripod. It will work best to stop the blurring. You could also use two hands on the camera to do it. Otherwise, nice photo.

Digging up threads that died in 2008 :lmao: ?

Manaheim is still around but the other 2 haven't posted since 2008.

Who are you replying too? :scratch:

I'm guessing that he didn't look at the date of op!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back