Emotion

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by RickyN29, Oct 22, 2005.

1. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

Hey everyone,

I did an impromptu small shoot of someone. I know a lot about this person, so I tried to capture an image which conveyed emotion about the character. Seeing as I know him so well, I question whether I see the emotion because I know it, or because I truely captured it.

So the first thing I ask for critque on is, looking at the picture, what emotions, feelings, and sense is projected? Please be as specific or detailed as you can, I really appreciate it.

Not as important, but the hand... at first I wanted it focused in frame as well, but then seeing it slighly out of focus, i thought it was better. It provided detail, but lead the eye to more important parts of the photograph. Oh, and though it might look staged, this was actually a candid. We just sat there, i pretended to setup the camera, but snapped it.

Many thanks.

[​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Canon Rebel XT 350D BW Ambient Lighting, 45mm, F/5.6, 1/40 sec, 800iso

2. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

Hum, almost 40 views, but not a word... I am curious why? Can my question not be answered? or what?

3. Abstract

Abstract TPF Noob!

Emotion projected?... Boredom in my opinion... Sorry

4. TPOL

TPOL TPF Noob!

sorry, i would have to say boredom as well.

5. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally, I am going to have to agree with the boredom comment. Perhaps that would have been a great capture if the viewer was able to see why this person was bored. Was this in a waiting room, a diner? From just a quick glimpse, it appears as if this person was touching their nose, and suddenly noticed someone was taking their picture, not really providing a strong emotion or feeling to the viewer.

The focus on the eyes is excellent, but perhaps a tiny bit of fill flash could be used next time to prevent the 'raccoon eyes'.

But I must say, keep taking people photographs. That is one area that I haven't stepped into yet, and really wish I had the knowledge too (that being said, don't take what I say overly seriously)

Don't be too concerned about the view counts, for all you know it could be one person coming into this one 20 times. :D

6. sleepy fire town

sleepy fire town TPF Noob!

i canbt really see any emotion in this, sorry

7. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

Okay, thanks for the replies. That is what I was looking for. I think what I knew, versus what I captured, was hard to differentiate.

Perhaps it's a photograph that can only hold meaning to me.

Cheers!