Emotional Responses

patrickt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a photograph of a mother and a newborn baby. I felt the photo evoked a strong emotional response from me and would from others. I showed the photo to Americans here, since they were the potential buyers.

Everyone did say it evoked a strong emotional response. But, men and women had a different reaction. The men said the photo made them feel the woman was strong and defending her baby. The women said the woman was angry and threatening.

My response was different but I knew the story. The woman had been told by doctors that her baby had a week to live. The story influenced what I saw.

I think men and women do see the world differently.

Note: The baby didn't die. I returned eight months later and the baby was well, growing like a weed, and apparently quite healthy and normal.

I guess you could look at the men and women's responses as the same thing but expressed differently - the men felt she looked strong and defensive - towards the child, and the women thought she looked threatening and angry - but did they say towards the child or towards the outside world? I always find it amazing how photographs can evoke such different feelings in people xxx

So glad to hear that all is well with the little one xxx

I'd be interested to see this photo; it sounds quite powerful.

I agree the different responses could have actually been very similar, just expressed differently. As far as seeing the world differently, as well as the differing responses, I would imagine that the women's own maternal instincts play a big part and the same goes for how men view a mother and her child.

Patrick, I think you should post the picture here for people to see.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back