Empty Digital Pic

desboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a problem, I have 100's of JPG photo and AVI videos that used to view/play ok, however something happened on Friday (all files now have a new date/time stamp, so something on my pc has edited them) while I was using it, and now all pictures are blank (even tho the file size is large enough) and playing the videos generates a corrupted error msg.

I think I'm being hopefull by posting here as I fear my photos are no more :x

I'll post a link to an example pic in a mo.http://www.rfid-tech.co.uk/2005_1215December_download0022.JPG

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks in advance,

Des.

Bad news... I opened this file in a hex editor (it sees all of the actual bits in the file) and it's 1.5 MB of zeros.

Essentially the file is the right size but has no actual content.

I would suggest running a virus scanner if only your jpg files were destroyed (unless you know how it happened).

Yeah, virus was my first thought, but the PC has up-to-date AV software.
Thanks for your info anyway guys.

Des

Just because you have AV software doesn't mean you can't get a virus. Especially if you download music, etc. from P2P networks, etc. I would count on it being a virus and do some scanning with these programs:

Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware
AVG Free

Good luck.

And stay away from P2P servers in future if you value the contents of your hard disk -- no AV scanner has 100% detection rate for all viruses lurking on the net, especially new viruses which you might pick up before your next definition update arrives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back