Enable Macro?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by seaman0385, Jul 11, 2008.

1. seaman0385

seaman0385 TPF Noob!

Just recently I picked up a Nikon D40 with the kit lens 18-55mm. I'm pretty new to photography and have been taking tons of pictures. I was wondering if there was setting to enable macro, or if it was built into the lens and it is automatically adjusted with the lens?

I also ordered the Nikkor 55-200mm Lens from nikon as well.

I was wondering if anyone has some other beginner advice?

Note: experimenting with HDR... different exposures without a tripod it is really hard.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Purchase a good tripod, your pictures will improve dramatically.

As for Macro there isn't a setting, its the lens, you could take your kit lens and turn it backwards and that would be a reverse macro lens...creates a very shallow DOF. And is difficult to hold and focus and shoot at one time.

You can buy an extension tube that allow for close-up macro shots with your lens. (the Cheaper way)

Or find a lens that says it is macro.

3. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need to do as lockwood said or, find some nice Nikor-Micro lenses. There is no Macro mode in dslrs. You can shoot faily close up though with the 18-55. Just move in back and forth to till you get to the closest it will focus.