Engagement Photos (My first time)

AutumnRebellion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the first time I've ever taken engagement photos before. The couple had a great backyard, so I shot them there. It was a little tricky, though. The only time they could do this was in the evening, which was a little tough. We all got eaten up by mosquitos! Anyhow, they were very pleased with them. I'm looking for a professional opinion, though. Tell me what you think.

JenniferStephen014.jpg

JenniferStephen015.jpg

JenniferStephen044.jpg

JenniferStephen008.jpg

JenniferStephen006.jpg

JenniferStephen037.jpg

JenniferStephen045.jpg

JenniferStephen003.jpg

JenniferStephen025.jpg

JenniferStephen022.jpg

JenniferStephen047.jpg

JenniferStephen033.jpg

I know, I know, a lot of kissing, but they did that on their own. I basically just shot while they were loving on each other, talking, goofing off. Anyhow, let me know what you think.

You have some nice moments here, which is often more important than the technical details. I do see things that could be improved though.

Several of them appear to be soft (blurry or out of focus). It may have been too slow of a shutter speed or maybe too shallow of a DOF.

Several of them are in need of fill light. In the first 5 or 6 images, their eyes are just dark holes in their faces. When shooting outside, it's often advantageous to use flash or a reflector of some kind.

Thanks for your input Mike. I appreciate the good tips. We desperately need to buy a reflector! It's important to keep the clients happy, and they are, we haven't had any complaints yet. But, it's important that we're happy with them too. And I know there's always room for improvement. Thank you for your critique.

I'd agree with Mike's comments, though I tend to notice the soft feel more than I do the need for fill-in. It looks like the overall drop in available light in the evening has limited your exposure options somewhat. What sort of lens was being used and what settings were you getting with it?

I have to be honest, I don't see a lot here that I like. I think the crops are too tight on most of them, the lighting is very, very harsh. If you were shooting in the evening, I don't see why you would have as many blown highlights as you do. I agree with what others said about them being blurry and too dark, also. I think I would try for a re-shoot. ;)

i agree with the others that they are a bit soft. I liked a couple, thought you captured the moment correctly.

You can save these.
Learn to love the liquify and heal tools and I think you will be golden.

I think your on your way to becoming really good. Like the others said you just need to find your focus so that the shots are alittle less blurry. I do think that #10 came out really well though. Keep up the good work!!!

You have real potential here. I wont reiterate what others have said about focus and lighting, but I do want to point out that you should watch out for cutting off limbs as well as fingers. Just loosen up on the crop so that all fingers are showing (in #6 and #7), and that will help a lot. Your eye for composition is very good!

NJ

Nice poses but I don't think they are soft so much as just plain old blurry. You need to work on focus more or using better shutter speeds or mabye a tripod.

I agree, the focus is too soft and their are some hot spot issues. But they poses & composition are nice. I think you have some real talent, just keep practicing!

Most reactions

Back