Engagement Ring-Feedback?

PinkDoor said:
Considering these are the shots to pick from, I like #3 the best.

Thanks. I think. The start of your statement seemed a little rude/unnecessary. Almost like you don't like any of them.

PinkDoor said:
#2 (even though it's on a boot) would have been better if you had yanked that blade of grass that's in front of the ring.

Oh I know! I'm kicking myself for that mistake! It showed up in all the close ups of the boot.

I don't like any of them, no imagination, just dull and boring why would you want it on a boot unless you where kicking groom to be into touch

unpopular said:
You know, laynea, if you're at all serious, you'll look back on this and wonder WTF you were thinking. It's better if you don't get too emotional about it. Being overly attached to your work is the first step to a lonely road of self-delusion.

I am a woman. Of course I'm emotional. I am not overly attached to theses photos. We're getting together to do more at a different location soon and I'm going to do new ring pictures with better composition. I'm listening to all the advice here. I just felt like the beginning of his post was unnecessary.

Next ones you could try putting the ring on a cow pat :lol:

It's a lot easier to impress some clients than it is to impress your professional peers.

YOU are the professional, not the client. There's a different between appeasing the client and taking a professional stand. You mentioned a few times in the thread how "it was the bride's idea" but you never actually said you disagreed with it. I'd assume you didn't because you posted it here for critique.

This forum is full of impressive photographers with great feedback (along with complete ass-hats). The emotional hit you felt when you were offended earlier -- next time you compose a shot, think about how this crowd would respond. Let that voice get in your head. If you can hear them pounding their keyboards while you're framing the shot, maybe try something else.

IDK guys. Given the size of that ring and the color of those boots, I am betting that this is one bride you don't say "no" to.

:lol:

Not drawn to them in any way form or fashion. There is nothing drawing my eye to the ring other than your thread title. From someone who does weddings tip #1 Ring should face the camera more. I would have to agree with all the CC above maybe differently worded but then again you are in the professional Gallery my advice is not to ask for CC in here if it or how it is put is going to ruffle your feathers.

unpopular said:
IDK guys. Given the size of that ring and the color of those boots, I am betting that this is one bride you don't say "no" to.

:lol:

LOL!!!

Ernicus
it is not about hiding who you are...
i have been there and i was told that my work was bad, and that did not necessarily gave me an impulse to work harder, but made my morale low at that time.
is is about encouraging people who are less trained to take the criticsm constructively in a subtle way.
i found it works better, but everyone can do whatever they want

Christian

If you can't hear it from others, how can you learn to hear it from yourself?

Ernicus
it is not about hiding who you are...
i have been there and i was told that my work was bad, and that did not necessarily gave me an impulse to work harder, but made my morale low at that time.
is is about encouraging people who are less trained to take the criticsm constructively in a subtle way.
i found it works better, but everyone can do whatever they want

Christian

That would hold true had all I typed was "this is terrible", but I didn't, I gave constructive feedback as well as my opinion that it was terrible...which the OP took. I understand what you are saying, however I don't feel it is necessary in this case as calling a spade a spade isn't bad, unless that was all I did without continuing on with reasons and advice. I don't feel a person should have to alter their typing vs. saying their true thoughts, I'll always think that way. So we'll just agree to disagree and move on. This thread is long enough already.

I am a country girl myself and I like the boot picture. I can understand why she would want it. It just shows a little of her. I like the light one also.

I think the boot thing could have worked, as I understand country folk quite well. I just think as it is, the ring gets lost.

Here's two ways I think I might have worked, I dunno...just my thoughts. Move the ring closer to the tip (I cloned it there crudely for illustration purposes), and use rot's (in each example the ring falls directly on the intersecting lines of 3rds)

Maybe not "the" answer, but I think it gets less lost this way.

7505772938_130c8e1e62_z.jpg

7505773086_4335e25eeb.jpg

I am a country girl myself and I like the boot picture. I can understand why she would want it. It just shows a little of her. I like the light one also.

I've been around the whole country thing my whole life and I don't think I'll ever understand how footwear can be more than something functional. Maybe that's just the rancher influence, they're really not a flashy crowed.

maybe a "his and hers" boot set, one of each, with a ring on each would work better, showing the joining of the boots. I dunno...I'm reaching here. lolz

On a side note, I think cowboy boots and hats, rodeos, and calling oneself a cow person should be outlawed east of the Mississippi.

Discuss?

It's boots and chaps
It's cowboy hats
It's spurs and latigo
It's the ropes and the reins
And the joy and the pain
And they call the thing rodeo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back