Engagement Session C&C

Then take my free advice and be wary of your ego. Or don't. I don't care.

My work speaks for itself. If it's crap, people won't pay for it so there's no need for me to be egotistical. :)

Well that’s not exactly true. Most successful wedding and engagement photographers are such because they’re great businessmen and mediocre photographers.

There are plenty of photographers with great work, better than anyone in their area, who can’t turn a profit due to poor business skills.

If you'd like I can share my thought process through PM. The definition of "story" is different and I'm coming from a different point of view. :)

By all means. PM me. I've always struggled on posing people, so I'm always looking for ideas and guidance.

Well that’s not exactly true. Most successful wedding and engagement photographers are such because they’re great businessmen and mediocre photographers.

There are plenty of photographers with great work, better than anyone in their area, who can’t turn a profit due to poor business skills.

That's true to certain extend. The excellent ones are both great businessmen and great photographers.

And yet here you are. Anyways, have a good day.

It seems like you can't have a friendly discussion.

Can and will are two different things. I have nothing more to discuss since we're not going to change either perspective even though I understand yours. I simply don't like your oddly passive-aggressive way of having a "friendly" discussion. Maybe that's not how you intend to come across, but a lot of meaning is lost in plain text so....

Can and will are two different things. I have nothing more to discuss since we're not going to change either perspective even though I understand yours. I simply don't like your oddly passive-aggressive way of having a "friendly" discussion. Maybe that's not how you intend to come across, but a lot of meaning is lost in plain text so....

I don't even claim to be an expert, I didn't use profanity, I didn't call you names.

But, I can have this discussion all day long with examples of my own work to back it up. I'm not here to change anyone's perspective but simply sharing my thought process. Call me egotistical, passive aggressive, and sure you don't give a flying f**k. You seem to have issues and taking this WAY too personally. It's all good. Take a deep breath! It's only the Internet. LOL

I don't even claim to be an expert, I didn't use profanity, I didn't call you names.

You seem to have issues and taking this WAY too personally.

:1247::345::biggrin-93:LOL:1247::345::biggrin-93:

My issue is that your work is irrelevant to the point I've been trying to make. Not everything can be explained by "Look at what I can do."

Eh, I’ll agree to disagree. The story behind my photos is much more meaningful *if* the couple is close to you and you’re privy to their story. Each of the locations I photographed them in have importance in the history of their relationship and their families. I allowed them to interact and be *themselves* which lets their personality shine through rather than some contrived story that I decided to manufacture through posing.

I just want to clarify that I'm only saying this because you asked to be critiqued and I am by no means putting your work down. So please don't take this the wrong way. I typically don't critique people's work.

The "LOVE" lettering and the engagement ring is cliche but all wedding and engagement photos are cliche. We just have to accept that fact. LOL

I agree that we should allow the clients to interact and be themselves. However, you also need to protect the female's arm, hip, legs, neck, stomach, etc so she doesn't look "wide". For guys, you have to make them look relax and confident.

1. Maybe if you try having the arm going under so it doesn't press against his body and bulge out.
2. If he pulls her in a bit tight, this will slim out her waist.
3. I already stated it above. LOL
4. Same thing with pulling her in with his arm around her waist. This is important especially with flowy dresses. Both legs are straight and stiff. They don't look relaxed.

Again, I'm no expert and I can totally be wrong. LOL

Last edited:
:1247::345::biggrin-93:LOL:1247::345::biggrin-93:

My issue is that your work is irrelevant to the point I've been trying to make.

That's why I make my point using my work, and you make your point using yours. hahaha I can't use someone else's work because it's against forum rules. :D

Always admire your work, so please don't think I'm being a butt here, I just want to learn. What do you see as the story being told by your photo? And, how is it different from those posted by the OP??

Not at all, it's a GREAT question.

The "story" is in the details, not just how they simply interact. From hand gesture, eye contact, body placement.

Eh, I’ll agree to disagree. The story behind my photos is much more meaningful *if* the couple is close to you and you’re privy to their story. Each of the locations I photographed them in have importance in the history of their relationship and their families. I allowed them to interact and be *themselves* which lets their personality shine through rather than some contrived story that I decided to manufacture through posing.

Destin - you're ignoring free advice from a very popular, successful and talented wedding and engagement photographer. I think that's foolish. If you post and ask for critique, take it gracefully and then use it or don't. Saying I'll agree to disagree and then insulting the person who gave you the advice is really rude.

Always admire your work, so please don't think I'm being a butt here, I just want to learn. What do you see as the story being told by your photo? And, how is it different from those posted by the OP??

Not at all, it's a GREAT question.

The "story" is in the details, not just how they simply interact. From hand gesture, eye contact, body placement.

Destin - you're ignoring free advice from a very popular, successful and talented wedding and engagement photographer. I think that's foolish. If you post and ask for critique, take it gracefully and then use it or don't. Saying I'll agree to disagree and then insulting the person who gave you the advice is really rude.

I’m not ignoring his advice.

I’m ignoring his poor attitude, and I’m CLEARLY not the only one who sees it that way.

He just finally got around to *actually* giving me a critique in his most recent reply. The rest before that were all less than helpful, egotistic replies in which he did nothing but show off his work and state that it’s better than mine because of the “story.” And that is in no way helpful.

His most recent reply to me WAS helpful and is appreciated.

He also did an effective job of derailing the thread, so I’m less likely to get usable feedback from others now.

we'll see about the popular, successful, and talented part... but this is generally why I avoid giving out advice.

we'll see about the popular, successful, and talented part... but this is generally why I avoid giving out advice.

Why’s that again? Because you can’t do it without making yourself the center of attention?

I’m not ignoring his advice.

I’m ignoring his poor attitude, and I’m CLEARLY not the only one who sees it that way.

He just finally got around to *actually* giving me a critique in his most recent reply. The rest before that were all less than helpful, egotistic replies in which he did nothing but show off his work and state that it’s better than mine because of the “story.” And that is in no way helpful.

His most recent reply to me WAS helpful and is appreciated.

He also did an effective job of derailing the thread, so I’m less likely to get usable feedback from others now.

With the risk of being called egotistical, my first post to you was under the assumption that you're an advanced photographer so I went above the technical aspect of posing and got more into the emotional aspect of it. Most people just brush that off and worry about the technical aspect of things. So, I went back to the technical aspect of posing just now. LOL

I never said my work is better. I asked you to put your photos and mine side by side and ask potential brides to compare. They will tell you all the reasons why they pick one over the other (not my work over yours). YOU assumed that my work is better. If you think that my work is better, then you should break down the reasons why and study it. Showing it to potential clients is a great way to get an honest answer.

To be honest, someone gave me a similar advice that I gave you initially and that got me to improve my posing so much at least in what I do with photography. It took me a while to get it, but it was a game changer for me.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back