Engine Bay Shots

Critique right, photo talk not car talk.

Ok, the first photo is good, but I think it could be cropped in tighter for a stronger composition. The two triangles of ground take away from the photo. I'm no sure what I'm supposed to be looking at specifically. Other than that it is great lighting, sharp focus, and I'm sure it will work for what it was taken for.

The second photo, much better. The shallow depth of field really helps lead the eye to the turbo. A little brighter and a bit sharper would really help here.

Thanks for the critique, appreciate it!!

I'm definitely not experienced with these little engines, being much more familiar with the larger gasoline perfromance engines (454, 455, 500) and diesel plants. I'm very surprised by the performance of this little beast, however I note that max HP is right around 4400 RPM, and that the 2750 range (which is still fairly high) is a much more modest 100-125 HP. I would be very hesitant to run a block with two-bolt mains and a timing belt (vice chain or gear-train) at those kind of high-end numbers for any length of time.

great photos, beautiful car :thumbup:

I've definitely been leaning towards the euro look ever since I got my E34, your Audi is nicely done!

I'm definitely not experienced with these little engines, being much more familiar with the larger gasoline perfromance engines (454, 455, 500) and diesel plants. I'm very surprised by the performance of this little beast, however I note that max HP is right around 4400 RPM, and that the 2750 range (which is still fairly high) is a much more modest 100-125 HP. I would be very hesitant to run a block with two-bolt mains and a timing belt (vice chain or gear-train) at those kind of high-end numbers for any length of time.

400whp on a 1.8T with a built bottom end isnt even breaking a sweat. There are stroked 1.8T's (then 2.0l) with head work making 700-800whp

I drive and beat on my car everyday and it never skips a beat. Just took a 2,700 mile road trip up to NJ in July

Regarding power and small 4cyls, there are 2.0 and 2.2l Stroker 4cyl Evo's making 1,000 + awhp and still able to be daily driven

Any please to everyone, lets stop the motor talk, I came to a photo forum for picture critique, I spend plenty of time on car forums talking about this stuff and deal with it everyday as I own a European tuning shop, www.1552v2.com I know what these cars will and will not due and 400whp in my car is nothing

Good point, apologies. C&C per req (However note that you did not request it in your original post):

The engine shots as noted are technically fine. Exposure is good, DoF is good; I think the composition might have been improved by having the car square in the frame vice at 45 degrees, but that's relatively minor. The car shots however don't do a great deal for me. The DoF is excessive for these images, and the sharply focused background is competing with the car for the eye's attention. As well, the sky is very washed out and lacking detail. The picture in front of the University bldg, I believe would have been better executed from a 45 deg angle on the left or right front fender and with a much tighter cop on the car. In the second (palm tree) shot, the aspect is much better, but the car occupies too little of the frame. Both of these images have the car too centred and need to be leveled. as well. Consider investing in a circular polarizer to help with the skies and reduce reflections.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Most reactions

Back