English interneters help please

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so my Grandad is pretty computer illiterate. I want to work something out for his two computers so they can both be on the internet.

Right now he's using a form of broadband that goes through the telephone lines, through a modem and then through a cable into his an available USB port.

His laptop is cabably of wireless connection. But it doesn't look like I can set up a router for him because of the damn USB connection. What the hell is that anyway? USB internet connection? Totally not neccessary? They've told him he needs to pay more if he want's to set up a router and have a wireless connection?

What the hell is that? Is there any kind of router that I can get that will take the usb port thing and enable him to set up a network for the computers?

He's using AOL Broadband and paying £14.99. Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

I had the same problem. Most early broadband modems here were USB and the easiest option for me was to dump the lot & set up a wireless router.:(

Alternatively you could just set up a LAN and try to use Microsofts Internet Connection Sharing! :biglaugh:

If the modem he's already got only has a USB port and nothing else, throw it in the bin and go buy a proper DSL modem/router like this one! They aren't cheap but it's a complete solution if he wants to have two PC's sharing an internet connection. The Laptop you mentioned already has wireless built in so i'm assuming the desktop PC has an ethernet card in it so all you have to do then is run a straight-thru cable from the Desktop to the Modem/Router. :)

It should look like this once you're finished...

DSL-G604T_diagram.jpg

But you have the option of either using a cable to connect the desktop PC or fit a wireless ethernet card. :)

Hopefully that all made sense. :lol:

Edit: once you've got the whole show on the road make sure the network is secure so your grandad doesn't get any 'freeloaders' using his net connection! There should be instructions on how to set up network security. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u64JcSsntWU[/ame]

Seriously, I think a wireless card in the Desktop and ICS should be the easiest way, or instead of the wireless card, get a crossover cable and connect to laptop. (again with ICS.... Internet Connection Sharing in XP)

All the wireless routers I've seen have a network cable socket (not that I've used AOL though, too many horror stories) so he should be able to just buy a cheap access point or hybrid switch and take it from there. ICS may be scoffed at in the first reply (quite right too!) but it's a useful work around when you're left with the option of that or spending a large amount of money on hardware. You can also use windows to act as a bridge using services, much better than the ICS but it does take a little bit of networking skill to get right and can be a real pain to get going(easier with XP now) Once up though, it'll be a LOT better than ICS and will still be free...

Most reactions

Back