Enlargement question

avil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just did an enlargement for the first time with a camera that I have access to at work. I shot the inside of a church with a Nikon D60 at 100 ASA and made a print that was 11 x 17. I have a local guy who runs his own small lab and custom prints everything himself, I was really surprised with how good the print looks and for my eye I can see very good detail.

I want to make a print to use as part of an auction we are doing and I would like to make a larger print say 16 x 24. At that size I am still at 150 dpi so it should hold together pretty well, correct. I can do a custom size in between no problem; my guy prints any size you want.

Thanks in advance for the advice, I know what I can do with a 6 x 6 negative but I am just getting up to speed with all the digital stuff.

The term ASA was abandonded many years ago, and replaced by ISO. They mean the same thing but youngsters won't know wtf you're talking about :lol:.

Was the image captured as a JPEG or a RAW?

If it was as a JPEG up to 80% of the color data was discarded when the RAW data file was interpolated in the conversion to JPEG. Any further editing from the native capture could cause banding and/or posterization.

All d-SLR image sensors collect RAW data.

With the D60 Image Quality meni set to Fine, Large, the native pixel dimensions of an image are 3872 x 2592 pixel's. With no cropping, a properly exposed and focused image could be printed 38.72" x 25.92" at 100 ppi. Your 16x24 is not likely to be a problem and is relatively inexpensive to have test print made.

Additionally, in image editing software like Adobe Photoshop an image can be resized larger and re-interpolated with the software creating pixels to accomodate the size increase.

There really is little limit to how big a digital image can be enlarged. Look at billboards.

Of course, the distance of the viewer must be taken into account but few look at a 6 foot x 9 foot image (the biggest I've had made from a D60, nice fee too!) by standing very close to it.

I have printed 16x20's and 16x24's at 150ppi and had excellent results. Go for it.

I did shoot the original in the RAW format and then imported into Photoshop for resizing. Will give it a shoot.

I have printed 16x20's and 16x24's at 150ppi and had excellent results. Go for it.

I have done the same...with a 6mp D70s and always excellent results. As long as the image itself is top notch in regards to sharpness, contrast, etc, there should be no problems.

I did shoot the original in the RAW format and then imported into Photoshop for resizing. Will give it a shoot.
In photoshop, just make sure you do not resample when you resize.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back