Enlarger Problem

trish2262

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got my first enlarger.(used) I put it all together and put my neg in but was surprised that the image was not exactly square. The top of the image is smaller then the bottom. I can not get it to be an full 8x10. The image is clear, but the size is not an exact square. Like this shape. _____
\____/

If that helps. Please if anyone knows wht I am tryig to talk about and that can help me fix it, please let me know.

What kind of enlarger are you using?

Trish -

Is the enlarger level? Is the paper carrier level? Is the negative carrier level? If any of those are off, it would cause this issue. What kind of enlarger?

The problem you describe with regards the shape of the image is indeed caused by parts of the enlarger not being square. The first thing to check is the whole housing. There is a big knob at the back securing it to the support column unit. A small amount of tilt in the housing around this fixing point would cause your problem.
You can get special target negs with lines scribed on them for setting up - but if you just use it without a neg and do the adjustment looking at the shape of the square cast by the light. Using the easel edges will help as a guide.

Check the diffuser glass inside of the housing. It sounds like that is not sitting right. This happened to me after I did a cleaning.

Check the lens is mounted properly, check the condensors that they are sitting properly, now check that all surfaces are parallel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back