enlargers?

vigilantvice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking into getting an enlarger, but I dont wanna spend thousands or even a whole ton, so I was wondering what a good enlarger would be for a decent price. Thanx.

You want to do color or b/w or both? Do you want to just do 35mm or medium format or even large format? Do you want a diffuser or a condenser? How large of an enlargement do you want to make?

You can certainly get a decent enlarger for nothing close to thousands. I just got mine on ebay for 50 bucks.

ok well Im not quite sure on specifics I never used any other than in high school. So I just used a standard B&W enlarger for basic like 8x11 prints. Which is more along the lines of something Im looking for, altho a color enlarger would be awesome too. But if u have more info on B& W itd be aprreciated.

Most of the enlargers you will run across are able to print an 8x10 BW from 35mm film. There are numerous entry level enlargers available, but look for something a little snazzier with some room to grow. I have a Beseler 23C that I use for 35mm and 6x6. It's a great enlarger. They go for $100 to $150 on EBAY.

Buy used or closeout. People are getting rid of enlargers for a fraction of what they were worth even five years ago. Start looking on EBAY, not to buy, just to learn about all the different models available. Also you'll start getting a sense of what they are going for (be sure to check "completed" auctions too).

Look for package deals. There are a lot of auctions/sales that include enlarger accessories such as timers and print easels, and some folks will sell you everything in their darkroom for cheap. They just want to turn it into a computer den.

Consider that enlargers will have less and less customer support in the future. Stick to popular models to insure that replacement parts and accessories will be available. Beseler and Omega are two good brands.

Remember, there are a lot more sellers than buyers right now for darkroom stuff. Be patient and be picky, you won't have to wait long for a great deal.

I forgot something. Try to get one with a Schneider or Nikkor lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back