enlarging old portrait - size and method

mmm97m

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an old picture - about 2.5" x 4.5" - that I'd like to get scanned and enlarged. I have several questions about this.

I was thinking about a wall portrait, so I've been looking at 11x14 frames until I realized that I'd like to keep the entire picture, not crop it down.
I don't know whether to get a custom frame or go with a standard size and use a weighted mat. I'm sure it's a little about taste, but if any of you have a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Also, a cousin scanned it at res of 500dpi with his flatbed and saved it as a bmp, but I'm assuming this is not the most favorable way to get a high quality scan. I've had negatives professionally scanned before, but is it something I need to do with this old photo? There is no negative for this one.

I plan to run Photoshop autolevels on it, rubber stamp out some creases, and that's all I know to do. it's b&w...if you ahve any other quick suggestions to getting it ready to enlarge, I'd love it!

I get the feeling that you don't yet have a firm idea of exactly what you want the final framed picture to look like. Once you have this well in hand, the path will become clear.

If you want to make an 11x14 from a wallet sized photo, you'll need a very high res scan of at least 1200 dpi (the higher the better). Take it to a lab that has a good flatbed scanner.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back