Enlarging pictures

twgreen3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to enlarge a picture to an 8x10 from my d70. Do I have to crop or resize before sending to wallgreens. Thanks for your help.

You don't have to but I would.

If you leave it up to them they will just blow it up directly to the 8X10 size, unless that's what you want.

LWW

Good question...ive always been meaning to ask this.

So does it mean that if you want to enlarge it to 12x18 size, you have to manually resize it before getting them printed?

Thanks so much

What are you using to edit/resize with? Your software will determin how and at what quality you can edit and upsize at.

CS and CS2 do an excellent job of up-sampling without a big loss in quality. If I need to take a file from my D1X and say upsample to 36" X 54" file at 300 DPI, I normally do it in steps of no more than 25% jumps. The files that result are truly stunning. You should expect no less. I send the file edited, sized and cropped to finished size (at 300 DPI) for any print I want a lab to print.

That means, if you have a file that's a 4x6 format, you only resize up to a 5x7.5, then a 6.25x9.375...etc. In the resize options, you can change the variable from inches to percent and then resize to 125% until you get the size you want.

Actually you need to upsize very little if at all. The D70 shoots at 3008x2000. Simply resize it to 3600 x 2400. (do it in one step since it's so close).

You will have to crop however, after resizing to 3600 x 2400, you'll want to trim the long side to 3000. So final size would be 3000 x 2400. If you print an 8 x 12 instead of 8 x 10 then you won't have to change anything at all.

If it were me I wouldn't resize at all, I'd just crop and print it. (you'd still be printing at 250 dpi, you'd never be able to tell the difference) That or just print an 8 x 12 and have a beer.

-------

bella - Definately resize before you get it printed. When the lab does the enlarging the quality isn't nearly as good as if you do it yourself. (unless you know a kickass lab who knows what they are doing) ;) And it will lose quality as you enlarge. You can enlarge quite a bit before you'll notice any loss of detail, but it is happening.

Looks like a couple of our friends have beat me to the answer. I used to only enlarge in jumps of 10%, but CS does such a good job, much better than previous versions that 25% is OK and the results are respectable.

and... when there's SO little resampling to be done, don't forget your cropping tool. This will make it REALLY simple. Just set it for 8x10 at 254 DPI. I hope this helps.

-Pete

8*10 is the size... not the printer.

I know fuji frontiers print at 320 DPI... so resampling to 300 make little difference, since it will still be upsampled in the machine.

Most reactions

Back