Entropy Series, C&C?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a nice day out exploring with my camera and 10-20mm lens. Let me know what you think! :)

DSC_0346.jpg

I couldnt decide between the next two as to which to put up, so I put up both. Theres only a subtle difference, but theres a difference. ;)

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

Let me know what you think! Thanks all!
Mark

Heres the rest.

zpicture05221.jpg

zpicture0611.jpg

zpicture072.jpg

zpicture074.jpg

zpicture1471.jpg

zpicture1588.jpg

Well..now I suppose there should be a 'pic heavy' warning on the title. Too late now :blushing:. Anywho, enjoy! Tell me what you think!

Mark

Location is cool - I like abandoned places.

However, in the first shot you MUST make an HDR image. Preferably a true HDR with 3-5 different exposure times to get the outdoor exposure right.

It doesn't matter how nice and dark you exposed for the interior, the almost white windows just look like a studio shot or something and that totally kills the mood.

In #2 and #3 you can get this feeling a bit better as your outdoor scene is better exposed (the little that you see through the window).

Again in #4, HDR. Also an external flash would have worked wonders. Like I said, the location is really cool but you need to get the viewer to believe that they actually stand there and this only can be achieved if the exterior or outdoor lighting is compensated appropriately.

If you can, re-shoot! I'd love to see more!

I just saw the rest of the images - WOW. That location is awesome! Get your technique straight and you can produce some really cool images there.

Don't have time to critique more but maybe later!

i like #1 cause those walls would make awesome textures in PS!!! I also love#9. Nice job!

Id love to hear more. I am currently working on an external flash. I didnt have a tripod to do proper HDRs, and I dont have the software to make them. I did the windows like that in the first one on purpose. Outside of them was terrible looking. It looked too alive, to much like everyday life that everyone sees. I didnt like it, so I overexposed the windows on purpose. I didnt want people to think 'he was standing in an abandoned building', I wanted them to think 'hes standing in a ridiculously weird and almost dangerous place, spooky even.' If I left in the windows with the shrubs, modern road with modern car, and brick wall, I think this would take away from the photo more than taking them out would have. I hope this helps better explain what I was going for here. Thanks, though! Id love to hear more from anyone and everyone! :)

Mark

love the location! #1 #9
tho #1 i would like to see it balanced out more with the position of the windows.
#9 i like the vastness of the dark area. was thinking a crop but I think i like it the way it is.

#4 is my fav ;)
Love the overall mood of the picture, location choice spot on!
In regards to the tree outside, maybe a bit less in focus, more blurred...would give more focus even on the interior.

Flash, yes, def. agree with that, interior more exposed would add a lot, on the other hand, not too much exposure, otherwise the broken, abandoned mood of the picture might loose some of its strength.

Great stuff!!

Good location, but I think the first few were spoiled by including such a strong light source. For me, the most interesting part of #1 is the chair and shadow, the textures on the wall, the light socket, and the floor; I would have tried to create a composition which did not include the windows because of the fact that you're going to have a well exposed exterior and a dark interior, or a window hotspot.

Wonderful opportunities, though. Could've even shot the floor with a 50mm or 75mm (if you had it) to create a 'found still-life'.

Images 1-4 have a very 'taken as-is' feel about them. Like you showed up and started snapping away. Sorry if that is not accurate. But if it is, my suggestion is to revisit the scene and move things around to create photographs. Move the couch closer to the wall, position the tire nearby, use the light but don't include the light source in the frame, and create compositions.

Great location, think it can provide cool HDR photos.

#9 my favorite

#9 i like the vastness of the dark area. was thinking a crop but I think i like it the way it is.

Thanks! I tried a couple crops, none of which I liked. I try to shoot so that I dont have to crop in the end. Most of the times it works. I think I like that particular one as-is, as you say.

#4 is my fav ;) Thanks!
Flash, yes, def. agree with that, interior more exposed would add a lot, on the other hand, not too much exposure, otherwise the broken, abandoned mood of the picture might loose some of its strength.

My thoughts exactly. I think the blown out windows help in alot of these. Being able to see the outside, modern world in these types of photos bugs me. But hey, its a personal choice. :D

Good location, but I think the first few were spoiled by including such a strong light source. For me, the most interesting part of #1 is the chair and shadow, the textures on the wall, the light socket, and the floor. Good, because thats what it was supposed to be.

Images 1-4 have a very 'taken as-is' feel about them. Like you showed up and started snapping away. Sorry if that is not accurate. But if it is, my suggestion is to revisit the scene and move things around to create photographs. Move the couch closer to the wall, position the tire nearby, use the light but don't include the light source in the frame, and create compositions. I have moral reservations about this. I dont use these types of locations as building blocks, per se, for my photos. I use them as stages for my photos. The things in there are the way they are for a reason, someone left them that way and, somehow or another, I feel as if they should remain the way they are because of that. In this type of environment, I believe that the viewer should see it as it really is, how it really was. Theres a certain sense of emotion, I think, that is brought out in the photos simply by knowing the objects havent been moved around at all. A sense of history.

Now, I didnt mean all that as an attack. So please dont take it in that manner. I simply wanted to share with everyone why I didnt move around the objects to create photographs.

Thanks everyone! Im always ready to hear more. :)

Mark

Man, I LOVE this type of photography. I shoot stuff like this all the time. Really nice. I love #3 & 6 followed by 8 & 9. Here are two of my own, if you don't mind me sharing.

Brickworks-0374-EDIT.jpg

Strathmore-May-105-EDIT.jpg

i'm gonna disagree w/ the HDR necessity comment... everything does not necessarily need to be exposed perfectly for a shot to be good...

that being said, could have underexposed a little to maybe bring in a little detail, or shot at a different time of day when the exposures matched more...

i prefer 3 to 2... the dof blurs out what is less important...

don't really like the composition of 4... though the backlight is nice...

The things in there are the way they are for a reason, someone left them that way and, somehow or another, I feel as if they should remain the way they are because of that. In this type of environment, I believe that the viewer should see it as it really is, how it really was. Theres a certain sense of emotion, I think, that is brought out in the photos simply by knowing the objects havent been moved around at all. A sense of history.
Just a wild guess, but I don't think you're the first person to go wandering around that place. So what sense of history is there, really, if a group of kids crashed the place the weekend before and got drunk on the couch in picture #4?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back