Entropy Series, C&C?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Markw, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had a nice day out exploring with my camera and 10-20mm lens. Let me know what you think! :)

[​IMG]

I couldnt decide between the next two as to which to put up, so I put up both. Theres only a subtle difference, but theres a difference. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think! Thanks all!
    Mark

2. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Adding more photos, check back in a few minutes. ;)

Mark

3. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heres the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well..now I suppose there should be a 'pic heavy' warning on the title. Too late now :blushing:. Anywho, enjoy! Tell me what you think!

Mark

4. creisinger

creisinger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Location is cool - I like abandoned places.

However, in the first shot you MUST make an HDR image. Preferably a true HDR with 3-5 different exposure times to get the outdoor exposure right.

It doesn't matter how nice and dark you exposed for the interior, the almost white windows just look like a studio shot or something and that totally kills the mood.

In #2 and #3 you can get this feeling a bit better as your outdoor scene is better exposed (the little that you see through the window).

Again in #4, HDR. Also an external flash would have worked wonders. Like I said, the location is really cool but you need to get the viewer to believe that they actually stand there and this only can be achieved if the exterior or outdoor lighting is compensated appropriately.

If you can, re-shoot! I'd love to see more!

5. creisinger

creisinger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just saw the rest of the images - WOW. That location is awesome! Get your technique straight and you can produce some really cool images there.

Don't have time to critique more but maybe later!

6. katy625

katy625 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i like #1 cause those walls would make awesome textures in PS!!! I also love#9. Nice job!

7. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Id love to hear more. I am currently working on an external flash. I didnt have a tripod to do proper HDRs, and I dont have the software to make them. I did the windows like that in the first one on purpose. Outside of them was terrible looking. It looked too alive, to much like everyday life that everyone sees. I didnt like it, so I overexposed the windows on purpose. I didnt want people to think 'he was standing in an abandoned building', I wanted them to think 'hes standing in a ridiculously weird and almost dangerous place, spooky even.' If I left in the windows with the shrubs, modern road with modern car, and brick wall, I think this would take away from the photo more than taking them out would have. I hope this helps better explain what I was going for here. Thanks, though! Id love to hear more from anyone and everyone! :)

Mark

8. Stormchase

Stormchase No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    love the location! #1 #9
    tho #1 i would like to see it balanced out more with the position of the windows.
    #9 i like the vastness of the dark area. was thinking a crop but I think i like it the way it is.

9. IlSan

IlSan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #4 is my fav ;)
    Love the overall mood of the picture, location choice spot on!
    In regards to the tree outside, maybe a bit less in focus, more blurred...would give more focus even on the interior.

Flash, yes, def. agree with that, interior more exposed would add a lot, on the other hand, not too much exposure, otherwise the broken, abandoned mood of the picture might loose some of its strength.

Great stuff!!

10. white

white TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good location, but I think the first few were spoiled by including such a strong light source. For me, the most interesting part of #1 is the chair and shadow, the textures on the wall, the light socket, and the floor; I would have tried to create a composition which did not include the windows because of the fact that you're going to have a well exposed exterior and a dark interior, or a window hotspot.

Wonderful opportunities, though. Could've even shot the floor with a 50mm or 75mm (if you had it) to create a 'found still-life'.

Images 1-4 have a very 'taken as-is' feel about them. Like you showed up and started snapping away. Sorry if that is not accurate. But if it is, my suggestion is to revisit the scene and move things around to create photographs. Move the couch closer to the wall, position the tire nearby, use the light but don't include the light source in the frame, and create compositions.

11. ezimon

ezimon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great location, think it can provide cool HDR photos.

#9 my favorite

12. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! I tried a couple crops, none of which I liked. I try to shoot so that I dont have to crop in the end. Most of the times it works. I think I like that particular one as-is, as you say.

My thoughts exactly. I think the blown out windows help in alot of these. Being able to see the outside, modern world in these types of photos bugs me. But hey, its a personal choice. :D

Thanks everyone! Im always ready to hear more. :)

Mark