Entry-level DSLR help

There is a big problem with getting a Nikon that nobody has mentioned..... If you get a Nikon your brother will always be taking your lenses, flashes, and everything else!!!:aiwebs_016:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I've only had one camera, a T3i I really like it. I've had it for almost two years now, and not a single problem! :)

Reliability is not an issue with either of them but the Canon has been slacking for the past 3-4 years in the sensor
department and it's just worst of the bunch unfortunately.

Pentax Unicorn... I mean full frame is not far away. There are plenty of existing Pentax glass that is full frame capable plus new ones like the 24-70mm that just went on sale, 70-200mm about to be released and they will also be rebadging the Tamron 15-30mm so that cover most every day zooms. A tele is coming too but can't remember the focal length off the top of my head.

Basically the Pentax is better in pretty much every regard to its Canon an Nikon equivalent. The K50 is equivalent to Nikon D5x00 series. The latest Nikon would have slightly better auto focus but that's it.

It also has many features only found on higher spec cameras like weather sealing, dual control wheels and penta prism viewfinder. Also let's not forget in body shake reduction which means even your vintage glass gets the benefit that the others have to pay a premium for in their lenses.

There is a big problem with getting a Nikon that nobody has mentioned..... If you get a Nikon your brother will always be taking your lenses, flashes, and everything else!!!:aiwebs_016:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I've only had one camera, a T3i I really like it. I've had it for almost two years now, and not a single problem! :)

Reliability is not an issue with either of them but the Canon has been slacking for the past 3-4 years in the sensor
department and it's just worst of the bunch unfortunately.

I know the sensor is not the best, I just mean that it is a good beginning camera, and has served me well. :)
And Canon sensors maybe lacking a little, but there are lot of incredible photos being taken with them.
My T3i does stinks in low light!:lol:

Pentax Unicorn... I mean full frame is not far away. There are plenty of existing Pentax glass that is full frame capable plus new ones like the 24-70mm that just went on sale, 70-200mm about to be released and they will also be rebadging the Tamron 15-30mm so that cover most every day zooms. A tele is coming too but can't remember the focal length off the top of my head.

Basically the Pentax is better in pretty much every regard to its Canon an Nikon equivalent. The K50 is equivalent to Nikon D5x00 series. The latest Nikon would have slightly better auto focus but that's it.

It also has many features only found on higher spec cameras like weather sealing, dual control wheels and penta prism viewfinder. Also let's not forget in body shake reduction which means even your vintage glass gets the benefit that the others have to pay a premium for in their lenses.

Now that would be cool! :)

I know the sensor is not the best, I just mean that it is a good beginning camera, and has served me well. :)
And Canon sensors maybe lacking a little, but there are lot of incredible photos being taken with them.

I had the t2i,really liked that one. I'm not sure that the t3i is far behind even the best crop sensors in low light, maybe a half stop or something small. Any dslr is very capable of good photos now

One more thing to consider and I raise this point to people who get to photography and might not consider this.
Pentax currently only makes APS-C cameras while Nikon also makes full frame cameras.
While this might be your first DSLR be sure you dont think you will ever want to go full frame, if you do get the Nikon because if not you will have to sell your entire Pentax system to move to a full frame system.
I am aware of this, but I'm not planning to get full-frame right now. Also, Pentax is currently working on a full-frame camera, so that's always an option in the future.

No help here but I cracked up at "Get Canon or Nikon and we'll let you live.":D

Welcome to TPF.
Thanks! :p

The Canon T5i is nice but also consider a refurbished model like the T6i or 70D refurbished units from Canon, Adorama, etc. offer the same one year warranty but at a lesser price. whatever you do don't get the 75-300 lens, the 55-250 STM is much better and cost less
I looked at their used and refurbished sections (as well as B+H) but I didn't see anything that seemed like a better camera than the K-50, although there was a red (blergh!) D3200 with two lenses, a memory card and a camera bag that was a pretty good price.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I had the t2i,really liked that one. I'm not sure that the t3i is far behind even the best crop sensors in low light, maybe a half stop or something small. Any dslr is very capable of good photos now

I think the only real difference between them is, that the T3i has a sween out and rotating viewfinder, which is really handy! :)

T2i, T3i, T5i, 60D, 7D.. they all use the same sensor. Unfortunately. :-/

The T6i/T6s is a slightly better high resolution sensor and the 70D/7D markII does better in low light,
but still worse then even an entry level Nikon D3300. Unfortunately. :-/

funny how those old sensors still produce good pix and better "IQ" !

Untitled by c w, on Flickr

Sure they do, but the Nikons do it better at a lower price at the moment, and anyone buying new should get the best they can for their money.
I know very well how these sensors work since I've had one of those cameras for 4 years now.

I think if Pentax want to make a full frame camera, they can. They just choose not to at this point. After all, they are the one who has a medium format digital camera.

Pentax Medium Format Film & Digital Cameras | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

You talked me into it! So when are you sending me my new 645Z???:allteeth:

Sure thing, why not? Which one? 4oM or the 51M? Just PM me your credit card# and address then it will be at your door step tomorrow. :048:

Hi, this is my first post here. Seems like a pretty awesome forum so far!

I'm looking into buying a new entry-level DSLR, and I've narrowed it down to:
Pentax K-50 with 18-55 and 50-200 (personal favorite)
Canon T5i with 18-55 and 75-300 and camera bag

I've put my hands on both and I far prefer the K-50. It feels of much better build quality in pretty much every way, plus the button placement is similar to that of my brother's D3300. I'm mostly decided on the K-50, but I do like the deal on the Canon.

I've visited or talked to staff at my local camera stores, and have gotten several different opinions on the subject: (some are a bit exaggerated)
"The K-50 is pretty cool, but you should get the Olympus OMD-EM5 instead."
"Pentax is worthless. Get Canon or Nikon and we'll let you live."
"Pentax is cool, but my main concern is lens and accessory availability."
"If the K-50 is what you like, then that's what you should get."

Before I buy, I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking any other models I should be considering. My target budget is under $500.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
-Merthecat

Amazon has cameras 25% off! http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3017941

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back