Entry level dSLR, looking at Canon 350 and Olympus e-500

mlakner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been looking for the right dSLR to buy for a few weeks now, and so far it seems that the Canon Digital Rebel and the Olympus e-500 are the top two models for my price range.

Looking around, though, the Olympus e-300 comes up two to three hundred dollars cheaper, and I'm not sure whether there is a significant difference between the 300 and 500. So mainly, what is the difference between these two cameras, and is this difference equivalent to the difference in price?

I am a begining photographer, but would like a camera which will last, and I will not have to worry about, or replace it.

Also, are there other comparable cameras in this price range which I have overlooked?

Thanks

Check out dpreview.com

Also look at the Nikon D50 and the Pentax *ist DS2

I'm a 350D owner, a very proud owner :thumbup: There's a thread on here somewhere about the 350D from different owners.

Hey Just thought I would let ya know...I am a beginer also and 2 weeks ago I got the Evolt E-300. Totally love this camera. It has a comfortable feel and very easy to use. I LOVE IT!!! I am very very pleased with my purchase. I haven't seen alot of people posting that they use this camera. But I don't have a single complaint.

I will tell you if you are seriously thinking of getting one. I will tell ya I went thru ebay and got mine. I got a really really good deal on a new one (with all warranties) and lots of extras. For what you would pay at a retailer.

I got....
camera body
4G microdrive card (holds 640 pics on best settings and over 2000 or reg. settings)
the two lens (14-45mm & 40-150mm)
compact flash reader
recovery software
extra battery
camera bag (holds everything)
cleaning cloth

all that for about what the camera retails instores.
So check into that if you are seriously thinking of this one.

Here you can see the diff. between the specifications on the
E-300 http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1140&fl=4

E-500 http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1192&fl=4

to me there is a few difference in the two...mainly the 500 has a bigger LCD screen and it has a dual slot for a compact flash card and xd card.

Hope this helps in your decission. I love mine and pleased with the purchase through the ebay store. cameta auctions is the ebay store I went through...by the way i did the 3 day ship was to be here on fri well i got it on wed. so that was a huge thrill!!!

Good Luck and hope you love what ya get.

Tina WVDALEJRFAN

I agree, the D50 is a good shooter and has a nice feel to it. The D70 is a small step up and has a few more features that make it worth the extra few bucks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back