Entry Level DSLR suggestion

skyakash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I am new in the forum and also to the digital photography. i have used analog cameras before, and now want to upgrade to a DSLR. Now i have shortlisted Canon EOS 1200D, Nikon D3300, Nikon D3200 and Nikon D5200.
i Live in India, and the prices are-
Canon EOS 1200D- Around 25000 INR with Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5 f/5.6 IS II and Zoom Lens EF-S 55-250 mm f/4 f/5.6 IS II
Nikon D3300-Around 25000 INR with AF-S 18-55 mm VR II
Nikon D3200-Around 22000 INR with Af-S DX nikkor 18-55 mm F/3.5-5.6G VR II lens
Nikon D5200-Around 27000 INR with Af-S DX nikkor 18-55 mm F/3.5-5.6G VR II lens

now i am completely a beginner in this. Any help will be appreciated

The Canon here gives you great opportunity to take photos near and far because of its twin kit system. Really you cannot go wrong with any. If it was me I'd go with the Canon.

I shoot Nikon and they are also good. They may have very small image quality benefit, but again, you're only getting one lens for your money.

My second choice is the d5200 btw

Nikon D3300 is the best body here IMHO, a comparable Canon would be the 700D (worse) or 750D (about on par but probably more money).
I'd skip the 1200D but any of the other bodies are fine. Lenses are a LOT more important so don't worry about the body that much.

The 18-55 lenses on both side are fine for learning your way around the camera but I'd swap that for a 17-50 Sigma or Tamron as soon as possible.
The 55-250IS is a lens I owned and loved. It's limited in low light but can do amazing shots (a lot better then the 18-55) if the light is good.
There's a lot of images taken with this lens on my Flickr page (liked in signature line).

TL;DR - Get the D3300 body only and add a Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 - BOOM - amazing kit.

@DB_Cro - Don't take this a shot at you, but when a beginner asks a question if we feel like helping in our input maybe we should look at the budget they have listed

Suggesting a d3300 and sigma 17-50mm is all well and good, but the op listed a few bodies with a price range all similar. Adding a sigma 17-50 almost doubles the budget. You may as well suggest a d4s and a 24-70 vr, if there is a budget there is a budget.

I am not saying your all nikon no canon from the list is wrong, I mean dxo says so. I have used a 1200d, and it is well capable, and a twin kit system for the money has its advantages. Nikon apparently has a better sensor, but for most everyday users I'm not sure this little bit of a difference is worth dropping a good telephoto lens for

I'm a Canon shooter suggesting that he buys a Nikon so..
Nothing wrong with the 1200D. I have a 550D (T2i) which is better.
D3300 is better then both.

I'd buy the best body possible and the D3300 is it from this list.

Bodies come and bodies go, good lenses last forever.

To the OP. You are making your choice too difficult. The best camera is the one you are happy with and will use. Go, if you can, somewhere and look at, hold, try out the camera's you are interested in. Find the one that fits you. You are not buying a camera, you are buying a system when going to any interchangeable lens system. Don't just buy for today, plan for the future as well.

Get the D3300, I own this camera, excellent basic camera with outstanding sensor.

Was going to list some plus and minus points here but I reckon op isn't coming back. :)

Was going to list some plus and minus points here but I reckon op isn't coming back. :)
Please list them. I am also toying with the idea of getting a SLR. I like the price of the D3300 but would like all the feedback I can get. I know ultimately I will make my final decision based on what feels best in my hands and has a good button layout. But always like having the pros help narrow things down.

Please list them. I am also toying with the idea of getting a SLR. I like the price of the D3300 but would like all the feedback I can get. I know ultimately I will make my final decision based on what feels best in my hands and has a good button layout. But always like having the pros help narrow things down.

Nikon uses a newer better sensor than canon uses. This is the big buzz point for all nikon/pentax/sony users, as they use a sony designed sensor that beats the canon sensor in dynamic range and maybe a little in noise reduction (a few models use a toshiba sensor, also highly regarded).

However this is the main reason that nikon get recommended over canon camera, and while it is a good reason, it does not take the overall picture into consideration (pardon the pun). A lot of users will never see any discernable difference between photos taken with an entry level canon or nikon. It is often said that the real contributing factor after the user ability, is the lens.

Look at these links below, one is from a 1200d, the other the d3300

Canon 1200D : Specifications and Opinions [JuzaPhoto]

Nikon D3300 : Specifications and Opinions [JuzaPhoto]

Now tell me the 1200d cannot take good photos and the d3300 sensor is way way better. as you can see, they are both very very capable

Usability wise both cameras are very similar. I used canon for a while, now I use nikon. I prefer the latter but canon also has a few tricks up its sleeve, especially if you like live view stills and video, with more control in canon cameras allowing aperture control without having to go out of live view and back in.
Also any canon I have used supports high speed sync flash with a compatable flash, a feature only on the higher levels of nikon cameras (don't take my word 100% for this one with the 1200d, but I am fairly sure it does also)

Another feature canon has which I liked, is when shooting macro using an af lens, when you turn the focus to manual you can set the camera to beep when a chosen focus point is in focus point is in focus (the af function is not controlling the lens, but the camera is telling you the selected point is in focus). It is great as an aid, nikons version has a green flashing light in viewfinder, but its hard to concentrate on this while trying to manually focus.

All in all if it was a choice for me as a beginner to get a d3300 with a 18-55 or a 1200d with an 18-55, I would pick nikon. But when the price of both is similar, and canon is a twin kit lens i would definetely go with the twin kit. For many, this is as much gear as they would ever need.

Of course everyones needs and opinions differ

I was exactly the same as you and asked the same question on this forum about 3-4 months ago.
My choice became a simple one - without blinding yourself to too much jargon, as a beginner, I ended up comparing like for like.
In the end, I plumped for the D3300. Here is why:
- Canon 1200d is the same price but its spec in nearly all areas is outdone by the Nikon. You just have to go to any website and download the spec for each camera and compare like for like. Its quite simple to see.
- The Nikon D3200 is the older model and although (from what I gather) it hasn't undergone very much change to bring about the D3300, it decided I wanted to plump for the newer model.
- The D5200 is the range up from the D3*** range, basically again I was told you are moving from "entry level" camera to "advanced entry". however, again if you compare specs between the D3300 and D5200, not much changes to warrant the extra cost. As others have mentioned, you want to concentrate your future budget towards lenses.....unless you were serious about making photography your job or profession.

Bottom line - D3300 is the best in my (limited) opinion.

That second lens with the Canon, the 55-250 is a good lens and will expand your range considerably. As this is your entry into DSLR I would go with the Canon kit. All other comparisons quality of sensor etc between your choices is pretty much nit-picking. So in the final analysis it really is one of most bang for the buck, and I think the Canon T5 kit wins.

Thank You all! I really like the idea of the beep in manual focus to help tell me it's in focus. As a beginner I also like being able to adjust things in "live" mode. I like the thought of seeing what my changes are actually doing as opposed to trying to go back and look.

Now it's off to the store to put these bad boys in my hand and see how I feel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Beep in manual focus? You probably meant something else.
Also, shooting in live view is extremely slow (multiple times slower), to the point of being unusable.

That's not how a DSLR should be used, it's good for manual focusing, macro, and shooting a few shots
over your head and similar situations.

I'd get a mirrorless camera if I wanted to shoot using live view.

EDIT: Before anyone jumps in with the 70D and such.. yes.. I know.

Beep in manual focus? You probably meant something else.

No, this is what I meant. If you set your camera up and rock back and forth you can set it so the point you have highlighted will let you know when it is in focus, even thouh you are for all intent purposes in manual focus. Try it, its great

Edit- this is when you have the shutter half pressed

Most reactions

New Topics

Back