Entry level DSLR under 500 for sports pictures

Emart0420

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It would be mainly for outdoor, football, soccer, etc..i was the pictures to be clear and good looking. ive been looking at the canon T5..any suggestions

You won't go wrong with any of the Canon Rebels or Nikon consumer models. But you will find some issues with low light. Especially capturing action on dark fields with inadequate lighting.

I just want to be sure that im getting the most bang for my buck without spending an arm and a leg. What about the Nikon D5100?

D5100 would be more than enough if you have the light. Entry-level cameras aren't known for their low-light capabilities.

Well i was reading an article just now and they're saying it mainly comes down to the lens, not the camera. a good quality lens is what is needed to get those types of pictures. Just been racking my head trying to figure out if i want canon or nikon. I keep hearing that with canon they are alot more interchangeable. so i think ill probably do that.

Yeah, you need a nice sharp lens, and then need to learn skills in shooting sports. I've used cameras that look like they've been dragged around hockey rinks for years - buying used might be an option. Just don't expect buying a big new expensive camera will do the job without developing the necessary skills and getting in plenty of practice.

Yes, im buying a used Rebel T5. eventually, later down the road ill upgrade to something better but right now, this should be good.

Actually, Canon lenses are significantly less interchangeable than Nikon lenses.
Nikon has not changed their mount since 1959.
Nikon FX and DX lenses work on any Nikon DSLR.

Canon has changed their lens mount several times since then, the last change being the introduction of the EF-S mount in 2003 for their APS-C size DSLRS.
Canon EF-S lenses cannot be mounted on Canon EF camera bodies.

I got a Canon 5d and a 85 mm 1.8 for about 500

You'll need a lens which will be at least 200mm at the long end of a FX camera, equivalent to 300mm on the DX sensor. The lens speed needs to be f4, even better @ f2.8. If you get into low light; late day, evening, you'll need the advantage of f2.8 for stopping the action and highlighting the subject. The fastest shutter speed is 1/4000. You're probably looking at a used 80-200 f2.8, and that's going to blow your $500 budget. You might get by with a 70-300, but the minimum apertures are going to be in the f4-f5.6 area.

Don't overlook reputable used departments. You don't say where you are but if in the US, look at Adorama, B&H and KEH.

Yeah, it's good ideal, to me sometime the camera u are using matters a lot, but the important thing is how skillful u are makes the camera more better.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Yes, im buying a used Rebel T5. eventually, later down the road ill upgrade to something better but right now, this should be good.
I wouldn't do that
The sensor on this camera is very old, its been there since 2009, comparing it to Nikon entry level D3300 and its pretty much is behind Nikon.
Here is a review of the 2 cameras
Nikon has better dynamic range, better low light performance

You won't go wrong with any of the Canon Rebels or Nikon consumer models. But you will find some issues with low light. Especially capturing action on dark fields with inadequate lighting.
What if the camera is a low light camera with f/2.0 or f/1.4 like that of 50mm or 35mm

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I just want to be sure that im getting the most bang for my buck without spending an arm and a leg. What about the Nikon D5100?
Is good to ask question, why not going for something like Nikon D300s, is also a low light camera

Most reactions

New Topics

Back