EOS 20D or Rebel XTi

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by crunchberry, Nov 21, 2008.

1. crunchberry

crunchberry TPF Noob!

ok so i am looking to purchase a new dslr camera and i've kinda narrowed it down between these two. what i really want is a camera that will take good, sharp pictures. im not exactly new to photography but i am by no means an expert.

im really interested in doing HDR photos so a camera that would make HDR easy would be sweet.

the main reason i've been looking at these two cameras is because their near my price range, i've heard good things about them, and i do like canon.

can anyone help me to choose a camera. i'm up for suggestions of other cameras as well.

thanks

oh and i'll probly need to purchase a new lens for it so any suggestions would be great

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome aboard.

Sounds like you are looking at used cameras...but new to you. ;)

They are both good cameras and will be equally capable of helping you with HDR or anything else.

The biggest different is the size of the cameras and the layout of the controls. The 20D is a bigger, heavier body but it's also more robust and (IMO) has a better feel and control layout.

If you can, I'd suggest holding either camera in your hands, to get a feel of which one would be best for you. If you can't find them (because they are both discontinued) you might try holding a 40D or 50D and comparing that to the newest Rebel.

As for a lens, it really depends on your budget. If you don't have a lot to spend, I'd recommend both the EF-S 18-55mm and the EF 50mm F1.8.

3. rufus5150

rufus5150 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I thought they just discontinued the RebelXT (Canon still shows the XTi as part of their current lineup).

4. crunchberry

crunchberry TPF Noob!

yes i am looking for a used one, exactly, but...

i've also been looking at the 40d, they look very good and not extremely expensive...ebay might be a good place for one. but i'm still not completely sold on buying over the rebel xsi

if it were you, which one would you buy? keeping in mind that i want to do HDR and am also interested in landscapes as well as macro

thank you very much

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it were me, I'd probably get a 40D. It's a really good deal right now because the 50D is the newest model. I'm thinking of getting one.

For shooting HDR, landscape & macro etc...you might be just as well off with a Rebel camera (XT, XTi, XSi)...and you can put the savings toward a good lens. The XSi is said to have very good image quality. I personally wouldn't get one because they are too small for me and I like the bigger, stronger bodies of the XXD cameras.

6. crunchberry

crunchberry TPF Noob!

i think i like the bigger style better too but i'll have to just hold both in my hands like you said. they both seem like good cameras that will work good for me but i guess it all comes down to which feels better.

thanks alot for your help, i really appreciate it because i just was having a hard time making up my mind.

7. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All of the above cameras will do well, like mike I use Canon 20D's, the rebel series just make my hands feel so cramped, the 20D/40D seem to fit my hand almost perfectly. Depending on your location, Check craigslist lots of 20D's, rebels, and Canon lenses have been showing up here in St. Louis, some at really good prices too.

8. wmspringer

wmspringer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't forget the live.com discount - makes the 40d around $600 after rebate, and the XTi/XSi under $400/$500.

I have the XTi and I like it, but most of the photographers I know hate it...go figure. Considering upgrading to the 40D next year.

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. crunchberry

crunchberry TPF Noob!

im probably gonna go with the 40d but my budget might not allow for a new lens at the time. does the 40d come with a good enough lens to get me by for now?

11. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree, and I have no idea why Canon thought it was a good idea to package that lens with the 40D. It's a fine lens, but the EF-S 17-85mm IS would be a much better choice on that camera. On a budget, the 18-55mm lens is good enough to get you started.