EOS 5D - Would I be disappointed?

tempra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.artzam.com
I've been thinking of getting a new camera for a while, I have the EOS 10D and have had it for a few years I would keep it as I like it.

One of the problems with it is the uncertainty of the quality at ISO400 and above, some can come out great, sometimes its noise city which gets on my nerves a bit.

I'm into the lenses for a fair bit, so brand change is not an option however, the natural path is to the 30D (or the fabled 40D) but looking around the net, I''m sorely tempted by the 5D - can't afford it, but a bit of prudent credit card switching and some ebay trading, and I can cover it over a few months.

I know there are some 5D users on the forum, and this is a direct question to you (although anyone else can chip in) Would I be disappointed? would I be blown away? would it be just another day in Oxfordsville or would I remember it for the rest of my life?

Is the quality good at 400 and above, if I offered you a 30D and £1000 would you trade?

Time for another guinness - over to you :mrgreen:

While the 10D was a great camera when it came out...the 20D was a pretty good improvement. The 30D is basically a 20D with a few updates. Every thing I've heard about the image quality of the 5D is good...it should be a significant upgrade from the 10D. It's probably third or fourth best in line behind some of the 1 series cameras.

The only downside to the 5D (IMO) is cost, and maybe that it's only a semi-pro style body for that price.

If you can swing the better body then do it. Unless you can write off the cost then you probably won't trade yours in yearly which means you'll have the one you buy for a long while. In the film days the body was just a 'light box'. In todays world the body is much more than that, get one that makes you happy!

mike

The 5D is very good at high ISO's some shots here taken at 1600 http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66752

I'll drop you a PM later ;-)

I've just got a 30D as a second body, again its great at high ISOs. I went for the 30D mainly because its faster than the 5D

both very good cameras, guess it really comes down to whether you need the full frame sensor

5d won't dissapoint. do you need speed? i don't, 5d would be great. so what, its not a huge camera, you can buy a grip if your into that, just bc its not labeled a pro body outright doesn't make it very usable by professionals. price isn't that bad if you consider its nearest competitor from nikon the d2x and compare with its cost. i would love having a 5d (if i shot canon)

I use both the 20D and 5D. The noticeable difference is the use of telephoto. The 20D with 200mm gives "closer" pictures than the 5D. I would not want to give up either camera however. The 5D with the 24-70 f2.8 or the 85mm f1.8 at iso 800 and up is really great for indoor lowlight work.

dam....missed this thread!!
Tempra - you'll be well impressed by the quality of the shots from it.
Even at 1600ISO the quality is amazing and with smaller prints you have to look for the noise to see it.
good choice!

The camera is extremely good. I think you will be quite pleased.

I like my 5D ... but there is still room for improvement.

I'd like it to be more weather-sealed since I use it mainly outdoor.
I'd like it to have more dynamical range.
I'd like it to have even less noise at ISO above 200.

But of course the latter two could be said for almost every DSLR on the market ;)

Apart from all that, I am very happy.

I am especially happy that it does not come with a bulky vertical grip body like the 1D.

In comparison I am happy with it's noise characteristics. I do use neat image from time to time though.

I am happy with being full frame and 17mm being really wide :) There are issues with corner sharpness and vignetting at really wide angles, but optics is always a compromise.

I would not swap it for a 30D and getting some extra 1000 in cash.

I would like to have a 1D mark III though for the telephoto work ;). If you shoot mainly telephoto, and do not want to use the very long white glass, then cameras with a 1.3 or 1.6 crop are something to be considered an alternative.

To summarise, I am very happy with it and I do not regret getting one!
:)

Well....he already bought it, so thats that.

Lets wait for raves and pans on the purchase.

Well, I took it out yesterday for the first time, and I must say I'm impressed.

The autofocus is stunning compared to my 10D which I also took to compare, picture quality is great and is as noise free at ISO200 as the 10D at 100, instant power on is something to get used to, as with the 10D you wait for it to come alive, with the 5D you've already fired off 3 or more shots :lol:

One downside is memory card usage, I'd filled a 2GB CF by the time the red arrows had done their stint, but memory is cheap so thats just something to get used to.

The main thing I noticed is that the viewfinder is so big, and getting used to looking all around it is going to be a challenge, but one I'm happy with and using the 17-40 was really good fun!

So, final verdict? :thumbup::thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back