EOS 5D - Would I be disappointed?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by tempra, Jul 4, 2007.

1. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

I've been thinking of getting a new camera for a while, I have the EOS 10D and have had it for a few years I would keep it as I like it.

One of the problems with it is the uncertainty of the quality at ISO400 and above, some can come out great, sometimes its noise city which gets on my nerves a bit.

I'm into the lenses for a fair bit, so brand change is not an option however, the natural path is to the 30D (or the fabled 40D) but looking around the net, I''m sorely tempted by the 5D - can't afford it, but a bit of prudent credit card switching and some ebay trading, and I can cover it over a few months.

I know there are some 5D users on the forum, and this is a direct question to you (although anyone else can chip in) Would I be disappointed? would I be blown away? would it be just another day in Oxfordsville or would I remember it for the rest of my life?

Is the quality good at 400 and above, if I offered you a 30D and £1000 would you trade?

Time for another guinness - over to you :mrgreen:

2. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

Oh, and LP - whats the best price? PM if you like ;)

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    While the 10D was a great camera when it came out...the 20D was a pretty good improvement. The 30D is basically a 20D with a few updates. Every thing I've heard about the image quality of the 5D is good...it should be a significant upgrade from the 10D. It's probably third or fourth best in line behind some of the 1 series cameras.

The only downside to the 5D (IMO) is cost, and maybe that it's only a semi-pro style body for that price.

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    If you can swing the better body then do it. Unless you can write off the cost then you probably won't trade yours in yearly which means you'll have the one you buy for a long while. In the film days the body was just a 'light box'. In todays world the body is much more than that, get one that makes you happy!

mike

5. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 5D is very good at high ISO's some shots here taken at 1600 http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66752

I'll drop you a PM later ;-)

I've just got a 30D as a second body, again its great at high ISOs. I went for the 30D mainly because its faster than the 5D

both very good cameras, guess it really comes down to whether you need the full frame sensor

6. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    5d won't dissapoint. do you need speed? i don't, 5d would be great. so what, its not a huge camera, you can buy a grip if your into that, just bc its not labeled a pro body outright doesn't make it very usable by professionals. price isn't that bad if you consider its nearest competitor from nikon the d2x and compare with its cost. i would love having a 5d (if i shot canon)

7. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

Thanks for your replies chaps, awaiting paypal clearance of my credit card and we're off!

8. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I gotta stop hearing about how awesome the 5D because I wont be able to afford one for years...:(

9. TomHuck-wa

TomHuck-wa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use both the 20D and 5D. The noticeable difference is the use of telephoto. The 20D with 200mm gives "closer" pictures than the 5D. I would not want to give up either camera however. The 5D with the 24-70 f2.8 or the 85mm f1.8 at iso 800 and up is really great for indoor lowlight work.

10. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

It arrived yesterday afternoon :mrgreen:

11. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    dam....missed this thread!!
    Tempra - you'll be well impressed by the quality of the shots from it.
    Even at 1600ISO the quality is amazing and with smaller prints you have to look for the noise to see it.
    good choice!

12. The camera is extremely good. I think you will be quite pleased.