EOS 5D ???

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by diGIgirl, Apr 20, 2006.

1. diGIgirl

diGIgirl TPF Noob!

Does anyone own or have any comments on this Camera? I haven’t heard to much about the EOS 5D except that it is supposed to be a great portrait camera, and the picture quality is better at 12.8 pixels.

I would love any coments because I was looking into it for a friend!

THanks

n------->:)

2. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i've looked into this camera extensively, as i'm thinking about buying it in the next year or so. you are correct, the 5d is a terrific camera. The full frame 35mm sensor (although a few megapixels lower) is quite similar to the 1dsMk2. It has some of the lowest noise around, and the image quality (like the 1ds2) is absolute top of the line for dSLRs. there are some slight issues that your friend might be concerned about, but they are minimal. first, it isn't a pro body, so it is slightly more susceptible to dust and moisture. Also, it doesnt have a pop up flash - this isnt really a big deal though as most people that use cameras professionaly or have cameras this expensive have flashes. do you know what cam she is going from, or what she shoots predominately?

3. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    The 5D is such a nice camera. I've had a few opportunities to play around with one, and like thebeginning I've read a lot about it as well. Now if only I could afford one...

PS: here's a very extensive review of it:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/

4. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

It's an overpriced digital elan. A typical castrated intermediate with weak AF system and a cheap body. Canon will discard this model very soon and will come up with a EOS 3 equivalent with decent AF and FF.

There's about a 100 bucks worth of camera body in there... and the rest you're paying for the sensor.

The others will tell you the good things about it.

5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow kind rough their Doc, I’ve got to agree with Sky & Daniel, had a quick look at it myself at B&H last fall it’s about the size as the 10d or 20d. The 5d is good entree leave pro model IMO. But as Doc said a new model is always round turn. IMHO if you buy any of pro and semi-pro cameras by Canon or even Nikon and you will not go wrong with it. Just need find the one that fits most of your or friend's need. And be will to live with them when new models come out.

6. DocFrankenstein

I've had the pleasure of comparing 1V to 5D recently. It has put a few things in perspective.

7. Frankieplus

Frankieplus TPF Noob!

What's the end result picture quality like on a 5D in comparison to a 30D?

What's the colours like, sharpness, etc.. Could someone elaborate on this a little? Also what other picture related differences are there? ISO speed grain etc..

How about when you blow pictures up? How much do you have to blow them up before you notice a difference?

Is it worth buying a 5D over a 30D? Why would someone choose one over the other?

-Frankie

8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

The main reason to buy a 5D over a 30D is the full-frame sensor. The two things a full frame sensor gives you are:

1. Lens field of view - it is 1.6x "better" or wider on the full-frame cameras. It's worth bearing in mind Canon's EF-S lenses won't work on the full-frame cameras.

2. Noise - the bigger the sensor is, the better the way in which it captures light and the less prone to noise. There are limitations and other factors involved, but for the most part it holds true.

There are other aspects to consider, like fps, weatherproofing, size, weight, battery life, AF types, etc. what's important is whether the camera will meet your needs.

I agree with the Doc on this one, the 5D is a camera for people who want a full-frame sensor and lots of pixels. There is a gap at the near-top of Canon's range for a model, which like the EOS3 would have proper weather-sealing, good burst rate, perhaps eye-control - there still isn't an equivilent camera (in terms of speed) for the bird-spotting, nature outdoorsy people which has the frame rate, AF speed and quality of build that the ubiquitous 3 did. Watch this space, it'll be out very soon.

Rob

9. diGIgirl

diGIgirl TPF Noob!

Hey,

Wow, this is the place to come for info! Thanks for the great help! She's actually just starting out in the bizz so its her first digital Camera. She wants to go with the Cannon's because she has heard better things about the name. I myself am a Nikon girl and really haven't kept up to the latest Cannon products ( i use a D70)..

would you guys say its comparible to the D70 or D20?...

I guess the pixels are much higher.. anything else?

Thanks,

n------>:lol:

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 5D is in a higher class than the D70 or (20D?)...because it does have a full frame sensor. The bodies are pretty similar but the sensor size is a big issue because it affects the image quality (somewhat) and especially because of the effect that is has on the FOV of lenses.

11. DocFrankenstein

What do you mean by starting out in the business?
    Is she shooting already with film or is she just starting to learn?

It only makes sense to buy a 5D if you're getting paid to shoot already. If she's just learning then it's better to get rebel XT or 20D with the kit lens.

You can learn all you need with that.

12. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Ouch!

:eyebrows: