EOS 7D or EOS 5D MkII?

Groupcaptainbonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been working towards a new Camera Body for a while, and the time is now here. Obviously I want the EOS 1 DS Mk III ( or IV when it arrives). But the money to buy one would be a good idea too.

So I have been working towards a 5D Mk II to complement my 500D which will be my reserve body.

I like the idea of the full frame sensor and the versitility which paired to the APS C in the 500D will be on hand. Common sense tells me that the quality of image will be better with the 5D MkII . And THAT is what I am after. Now, after a trip to Jessops in Nottingham, I am told by the supposedly knowlegable staff (who went on a Canon Course at the launch), that the EOS 7 will give better results and is an all round better body ...

How can this be?
Has anyone used BOTH cameras and can give an objective opinion?

I have the 500d for the light weight usability which I require on mountains. the quality is really brilliant. So the only thing that I am interested in is the Image Quality.

21 Metal Pixies verses 18.
Full frame verses APS C,

I would have thought that it was a foregone conclusion. But have Canon pulled a rabbit out of the hat and made a smaller more crowded sensor housed in a cheaper body which produces better quality images?...

many thanks for you help folks...
Tim.

From what I understand, (I could be wrong) the 2 cameras aim at different type of photography while 5D geared more towards portrait / Landscape and 7D towards more action sports / photo journalism.

With the announcement of the 7D, Canon users now have 5 levels of DLSR to choose from:

• Digital Rebels - crop sensor entry level cameras. Smaller, lighter and cheaper, but with a very good set of features, including HD video. No rear QCD and no top LCD.
  • The EOS XXD series (30D/40D/50D) - crop sensor "prosumer" cameras for more advanced amateurs. Rear QCD and top LCD. Better built than the Rebel series and with more features. No video yet, but that will no doubt come with the 60D!
  • The new EOS 7D - crop sensor camera for advanced users. Highest pixel count, fastest frame rate (8fps), advanced AF and exposure systems and built in control of wireless slaves.
  • The EOS 5D MkII - full frame sensor camera, loaded with features including HD video.
  • The EOS 1 series. Full professional level construction. The 1D series are designed for high speed and up to now have used APS-H (1.3x multiplier) sensors. The 1Ds series are full frame and designed for the highest image quality.
Choice is usually a good thing, though sometimes having too many options to chose from results in the ability to chose at all! It's not too bad in the case of the 7D/50D/5DII though.
The EOS 5D MkII is clearly the choice if image you need a full frame sensor. Image quality (especially at high ISO settings or with large sized prints) is better with a full frame camera and there are DOF and lens issues which can make full frame more desirable. It's $1000 more expensive than the EOS 7D.
The EOS 50D is the budget choice, still yielding very high quality images, a fast frame rate (6fps) and wide ISO range (100-12800). It's $600 cheaper than the EOS 7D and $1600 cheaper than the 5D MkII. It does lack any video capability through, which the 7D and 5D MkII have.
The 7D provides full HD video capability, a very fast frame rate (8fps) and the promise of more advanced metering and autofocus (though until tests have been done, the degree of advancement remains unknown). It's a pretty good compromise for those who want a camera with a lot of great features, but who don't need full frame and don't want to spend the extra $1000 on a 5D MkII.

If you own any EF-S lenses, they will not work on the 5DMKII.

The 7D and 5DMKII are both great choices. Image quality is always a big debate. What you will find is that both of these bodies produce GREAT results. THe 5DMKII has a sleight edge on high ISO shots. However, user ability will factor in greatly at that point too.

If you take the time to know each of these bodies and understand how to get a good exposure, you could be happy with either of them.

In the end, I went with the 7D. I like the high FPS, the new autofocus system, and the new features like built in wireless TTL flash. There are other new features in this camera that have been amazing. I did not know about them until after I bought it. For example...

1) The ability to memorize focusing points makes creative exposures quick and easy. I can use the normal center point as my main focusing point and with the click of one button, I can jump to a focusing point on the far right without leaving the viewfinder.

2) The ability to easily move the focusing point, while looking through the viewfinder is a real benefit. I have mine setup so that the joystick on the back of the camera will move that point while focusing.

3) I love the ability of having different focusing points for horizontal and vertical shooting.

4) The built in level is highly useful. When I got the camera, I thought it was a cool feature in Live View. When I found out you can configure it to also show up in the viewfinder, I was VERY happy. I have it linked to the multi-function button(Also new) so that one click will bring up my level.

In the end, the new features lured me to the 7D. I was also afraid that Canon would rev the 5D MKII soon er than normal to include some of these new features and I did not want to jump on the MKII just yet. I may be wrong there, but I felt it was a risk at that price point.

If you want to check out some 7D images, see the following link.

7D Post your Pictures Here - Canon Digital Photography Forums

The 5D MKII will produce better quality images. There was a link with the comparison between a 5D MKII and a 7D and the 7D's full size crops were slightly fuzzy. The pixel density on the sensor is incredibly high, where as the pixel density of a 5D MKII is about equal to that of am 8mp 30D.

That and high ISO work is a non comparison for picking the better. The 7D has better and faster AF and will shoot faster FPS. It also is supposed to have better weather sealing.

From what I understand, (I could be wrong) the 2 cameras aim at different type of photography while 5D geared more towards portrait / Landscape and 7D towards more action sports / photo journalism.

All of my wedding photographer friends shoot with Canon's 5D Mark II, but a few of my friends that do sports photography use the 7D, they're both great cameras, but like it says above, they're tailored for different areas.

Thanks for your answers everyone, (I am not actually sure that everyone was answering the question that I asked, but the input was useful and appreciated).
Especially "CXTHREE" and VILLAGE IDIOT". What I particularly like about YOUR answers is that they pretty much confirme what I already believe (Always a very good quality in an answer ! !).

Lenses are not an issue as I have EF "L" series sorted (You really NEED to try these with a 500D to appreciate just how good that little baby is). I don't really need fast frame rates, although a few of the toys , especially the weather seal, attact attention. But I am pretty sure that inspite of the quite possible re-vamp and the obviously imminant EOS 1D Mk IV (If ONLY I HAD THE MONEY). I will be going for the 5D Mk II.

Thanks again folks.
Happy new year to all of you (EVEN the Nikon users ! ! ).

Here are some shots I took with a 7D and 5D2. These are straight out of camera, ISO 100, shot in RAW and converted to JPG using DPP.

First the 7D:
725874738_DCBws-X3.jpg

The same shot with the 5D2:
726134611_ut2wE-X3.jpg

As you can see, the 5D2 produces sharper images straight out of camera. With sharpening the 7D images clean up nicely, but they still don't quite touch the 5D2's quality.

I've posted more test images HERE including high ISO test shots.

My vote for 5D Mark 2 - also if you ever want to try your hand at video the 5D Mark 2 has been used in major films, commercials, and music videos. It's THAT good. lol

That's no reason to chose one over the other. They have both been used in that situation. In fact, Saturday Night Live uses them both regularly.

Look at the features and image quality of both. Look at your needs as a photographer. Which one fits best? Do you need or want full frame? High FPS? WIreless flash, etc. Once you determine your needs, one of these 2 will fit you better than the other.

They are both amazing cameras. Just figure out what you need and get the one that fits.

That's no reason to chose one over the other. They have both been used in that situation. In fact, Saturday Night Live uses them both regularly.

Look at the features and image quality of both. Look at your needs as a photographer. Which one fits best? Do you need or want full frame? High FPS? WIreless flash, etc. Once you determine your needs, one of these 2 will fit you better than the other.

They are both amazing cameras. Just figure out what you need and get the one that fits.

Wireless flash can be acheived with either. Even wireless TTL.

If you want to spend the money, yes. You are right. However, one is built in with group ratios, etc. The 5DMKII would need an additional flash on the camera as a master and a 3rd party wireless Ettl solution for $4 - $600 bucks.

Like I said., They are both great. You just have to figure out which fits your needs best. Those needs include your budget needs.

To be clear, the pocket wizards are not needed. My response was early this am and my mind does not function before breakfast. :)

You would still need an additional 580EXII to be the master so thats $400.

Thanks guys. The image quality is the clincher. I don't need High frame rates and as I alredy use a 500D I will be doubling my choices of lens with a full frame sensor. Although as you all say they are both superbe cameras. But the 5D Ithink suits my requirements better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back