EOS or Vintage Canon ?

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by gat3keeper, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dragster3

Dragster3 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The camera is not that important...Film and Lens is the most important...then developing. body is just the shutter.

At least that's the way I look at it. Lens and film is what delivers the quality, the rest is up to the user.

I love film...B&W...I miss darkroom work...It gets old quick though!

vintage Spotmatic and some m42 lens...cheap and easy, good quality lenses available.

2. sniper x

sniper x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Dragster, that is overly simplifying it. The body is everything as a starting point. If one takes into consideration which lens maker or leverl of expense they want. To how quickly they will need to upgrade the body or not...

3. Dragster3

Photos OK to edit
    There are so many more variables when doing film, the body is the least of your worries. The quality is not in the body...ever.

35mm is not a professional or high quality film camera. If I ever do film again it wont be 35mm... I'll whip out the Mamiya MF.

My dad used to do weddings with a Mamiya, and a pair of spotmatics.

Is this guy gonna do weddings with it?

4. Dragster3

Photos OK to edit
    Storing the photos? What do you mean?

5. sniper x

sniper x TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am betting he means they aren't as volitile as having digital photos stored on a digital device, or a service. Not to mention, having a physical thing stored instead of data. This is an ongoing discussion all over the planet when people discuss film and digital photos. And I might ask, since when is a quality camera body not ever inportant? If this is true, why doesn't everyone sell off all their expensive film bidies and buy the cheapest body their lenses fit? I mean like Leica owners and Hasselblad owners?

6. Dragster3

Photos OK to edit
    Exactly my point. Hasselblad and Leica have no features whatsoever, they just hold a good lens. Bodies mean nothing.

I guess I just look at it differently.

Silly to think that a photo will hold up better than something virtual...The paper will eventually decay. A data file will always be there.

I love film...But its just not practical. I still find myself not shooting enough. Like I'm shooting film!

7. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have recently been scanning some negatives for a friend that her father took in the 1940s. She found them while going through his effects after he died. She had no idea they existed and had taken her time going through this last box of stuff. Had they been stored on a server somewhere, she would not have known where, would not have known her father's username, would not have known his password. That is assuming that the technology over a seventy year plus period was still compatible. Try opening a first generation Canon raw file in 2017!

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dragster3

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with you, but data files have always existed. Think of the Vatican as a server. And when your kids go through your "stuff" I'm sure they are gonna look on your computer. I don't save important things in cyber space. I think cyber space is the problem...I need to be able to touch my data, in the form of a CD or hard drive...LMFAO

9. Dragster3

Photos OK to edit
    Jpeg would be the proper comparison to a paper photo. You can open any Jpeg.

BTW I really like that Mamiya 500DTL, that is a great body. I saw it on your blog... Killer!

10. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    But my digital photo files are not stored as jpegs! When I pop my clogs, my daughter is going to deal with several ring binders of negatives and a hard drive full of .CR2 files. To make it worse, those .CR2 files are from three cameras and are consist of three versions of .CR2. My current software will not open .CR2 files from my EOS 350D - that is a matter of ten years. How much worse will it be in thirty years time?

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

11. Dragster3

Photos OK to edit
    Think ahead and make those final edits and make them jpegs...you have to think ahead. Don't make it harder than necessary...my kids don't wanna see pictures of a bird I took while being artsy, they want family pictures of memories.

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

12. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Here is my take being a converted Fujifilm shooter from Nikon. I chose the Fujifilm because it operates like a manual film camera. I still shoot a lot of film. I have several film cameras. Canon AE1, Pentax P30T, Pentax SP1000, Pentax K1000, Nikon FM to name a few. I use manual focus on my mirrorless 90% of the time. See the pattern? I prefer the P30T the most at this time because it is an aperture priority camera. I would love a Pentax LX or a F3HP simply for the viewfinder but getting one cheap hasn't appeared yet. Good glass is a bonus in my opinion but not a necessity per say. I have tried various film and have narrowed it down to two basically for black and white. Tri-X (400tx), and Acros 100. I like the latitude (pushing) that both present. I don't shoot much color so haven't settled on one in particular but usually use Agfa Vista 200 but if I were shooting people, probably would use Portra 160 or Fuji 400H. As far as developing, I prefer D76 for black & white, and unicolor kit for color. D76 works great for both my B &W films, I found the ilfosol 3 is not good with Acros.

• Agree Agree x 1