EOS or Vintage Canon ?

I'm a pro wedding photographer but started in digital (dslr). Through the years, I've noticed that film camera may have some advantages in storing photos.

Now, I would like to try film photography and choosing the right camera is overwhelming.

I'm eyeing for Canon or Nikon due to vast availability of lenses in our area. For canon, should I get the EOS or the vintage cams ?

I don't have EOS lenses for I used Fuji for professional work

Storing the photos? What do you mean?

I am betting he means they aren't as volitile as having digital photos stored on a digital device, or a service. Not to mention, having a physical thing stored instead of data. This is an ongoing discussion all over the planet when people discuss film and digital photos. And I might ask, since when is a quality camera body not ever inportant? If this is true, why doesn't everyone sell off all their expensive film bidies and buy the cheapest body their lenses fit? I mean like Leica owners and Hasselblad owners?

I am betting he means they aren't as volitile as having digital photos stored on a digital device, or a service. Not to mention, having a physical thing stored instead of data. This is an ongoing discussion all over the planet when people discuss film and digital photos. And I might ask, since when is a quality camera body not ever inportant? If this is true, why doesn't everyone sell off all their expensive film bidies and buy the cheapest body their lenses fit? I mean like Leica owners and Hasselblad owners?

Exactly my point. Hasselblad and Leica have no features whatsoever, they just hold a good lens. Bodies mean nothing.

I guess I just look at it differently.

Silly to think that a photo will hold up better than something virtual...The paper will eventually decay. A data file will always be there.

I love film...But its just not practical. I still find myself not shooting enough. Like I'm shooting film!

Silly to think that a photo will hold up better than something virtual...The paper will eventually decay. A data file will always be there.

I love film...But its just not practical. I still find myself not shooting enough. Like I'm shooting film!
I have recently been scanning some negatives for a friend that her father took in the 1940s. She found them while going through his effects after he died. She had no idea they existed and had taken her time going through this last box of stuff. Had they been stored on a server somewhere, she would not have known where, would not have known her father's username, would not have known his password. That is assuming that the technology over a seventy year plus period was still compatible. Try opening a first generation Canon raw file in 2017!

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

I agree with you, but data files have always existed. Think of the Vatican as a server. And when your kids go through your "stuff" I'm sure they are gonna look on your computer. I don't save important things in cyber space. I think cyber space is the problem...I need to be able to touch my data, in the form of a CD or hard drive...LMFAO

But my digital photo files are not stored as jpegs! When I pop my clogs, my daughter is going to deal with several ring binders of negatives and a hard drive full of .CR2 files. To make it worse, those .CR2 files are from three cameras and are consist of three versions of .CR2. My current software will not open .CR2 files from my EOS 350D - that is a matter of ten years. How much worse will it be in thirty years time?

But my digital photo files are not stored as jpegs! When I pop my clogs, my daughter is going to deal with several ring binders of negatives and a hard drive full of .CR2 files. To make it worse, those .CR2 files are from three cameras and are consist of three versions of .CR2. My current software will not open .CR2 files from my EOS 350D - that is a matter of ten years. How much worse will it be in thirty years time?

Think ahead and make those final edits and make them jpegs...you have to think ahead. Don't make it harder than necessary...my kids don't wanna see pictures of a bird I took while being artsy, they want family pictures of memories.

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Here is my take being a converted Fujifilm shooter from Nikon. I chose the Fujifilm because it operates like a manual film camera. I still shoot a lot of film. I have several film cameras. Canon AE1, Pentax P30T, Pentax SP1000, Pentax K1000, Nikon FM to name a few. I use manual focus on my mirrorless 90% of the time. See the pattern? I prefer the P30T the most at this time because it is an aperture priority camera. I would love a Pentax LX or a F3HP simply for the viewfinder but getting one cheap hasn't appeared yet. Good glass is a bonus in my opinion but not a necessity per say. I have tried various film and have narrowed it down to two basically for black and white. Tri-X (400tx), and Acros 100. I like the latitude (pushing) that both present. I don't shoot much color so haven't settled on one in particular but usually use Agfa Vista 200 but if I were shooting people, probably would use Portra 160 or Fuji 400H. As far as developing, I prefer D76 for black & white, and unicolor kit for color. D76 works great for both my B &W films, I found the ilfosol 3 is not good with Acros.

Good glass is a bonus? The glass and the film is everything. The body is just a shutter. Why would you need so many cameras? Do u load them with different speeds? I like simplicity. This isn't 1975, digital is better. Again I live film and the process, I wish I had time to do it...but I don't. My 10 year old wants to shoot film. Maybe I'll start a thread so us old-timers can get a better perspective ...

Since my backup HD failed I shoot film pretty much all the time. The dead HD takes up less space in the closet than a shoe box of negatives but serves the same purpose.

Good glass is a bonus? The glass and the film is everything. The body is just a shutter. Why would you need so many cameras? Do u load them with different speeds? I like simplicity. This isn't 1975, digital is better. Again I live film and the process, I wish I had time to do it...but I don't. My 10 year old wants to shoot film. Maybe I'll start a thread so us old-timers can get a better perspective ...

Yes, IMO it's a bonus because I think there is more to making art. The lens and camera are the tools. Creative thinking, composition, and developing is the art. I have seen many wonderful images with less than high quality hardware. Plastic lens would be an example.

I have many camera's because I like them and most are purchased cheap or given to me. However, they all do the same thing... take pictures, they're cameras.... including digital.

Yes, IMO it's a bonus because I think there is more to making art. The lens and camera are the tools.

Exactly my point...with the proper skills You can do anything. You don't need a camera that wipes your ass.

Too many people need the "right body"...IDK but I don't use any of the auto stuff... Since digital is free, I just take shots with multiple speeds, apertures, shoot away...Only reason for digital upgrade is the sensor... the film essentially. All the other stuff is fluff. Sorry everyone.

The shutter makes a big difference - leaf, horizontal focal plane or vertical focal plane produce very different pictures, particularly with moving subjects.

The shutter makes a big difference - leaf, horizontal focal plane or vertical focal plane produce very different pictures, particularly with moving subjects.

Easy...Pentax ME, Spotmatic, and a Mamiya ...I'll pick up an ME at the flea market, already have the other 2. [emoji6]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back