EOS Rebel XS, zoom lens needed

EOSRebelXS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I inherited a Canon EOS Rebel XS (1000?) with a Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro Zoom lens. I believe the lens is broken or jammed, the camera cannot focus the lens, maybe some gear inside is broke? I've not used a DSLR before so I don't have any knowledge of their workings. I do know that one would prefer a fast lens for the 28-50mm range, less depth of field but easier to take fast pics in low light.

I would like to stay with the 28-80mm for now and perhaps add a telephoto later. I've looked at the used selections on ebay but am not sure which lens will fit my particular camera. Some sellers do mention the Rebel XS 1000, is this what I should be looking for?

Not looking for world class photos, just want to have some fun, experiment and get use to using this camera and try my hand at taking decent pics. Any suggestions on lens, perhaps like the Sigma? The key question would be if I can use an adapter on this camera to allow me to use other lens.

I've read a little bit about adapters one would use to get a larger selection of lens. I could ask the eBay seller and hope he has knowledge about such but there is much more experience and wisdom here. Not looking for a expensive lens, what might be a fair range, $25 to $100 for used? Haven't look at prices for new lens but if someone wants to point out some lens, I will consider them.

I also enjoy birding and usually use low power binocculars but picked up a Celestron Ultima 65 a while back for tripod mounted close up viewing. Can this telephoto be used with an adapter on my DSLR?

Your camera has an EF-S mount on it. You might want to see if someone you know has an EF-S compatible autofocus lens and make sure that it is the lens and not the camera. Failing that, you can find a photo store that might be able to help, but they may try to sell you something. For what you are looking for, you can get a good deal at one of the used kit stores, like mpb, Adorama, or b&h photo. mpb deals exclusively with used gear, while the other two sell new and used. You can search for mpb photo online, they have US and UK locations.

I also enjoy birding and usually use low power binocculars but picked up a Celestron Ultima 65 a while back for tripod mounted close up viewing. Can this telephoto be used with an adapter on my DSLR?
I'm guessing probably not, but if you really want to do birding with your camera, you are really going to want at least a 400mm lens, and ideally 600mm. The problem is that your camera is an ef-s mount, so finding a lens in that category may be a challenge. mpb has a Tamron 18-400mm which is listed as an ef-s mount. I have the ef mount version, and its a nice lens. I would query them about if it is truly and ef-s lens, though. They have plenty of f/2.8 lenses in the 18-50mm range that would be suitable for indoor shooting.

I inherited a Canon EOS Rebel XS (1000?) with a Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro Zoom lens. I believe the lens is broken or jammed, the camera cannot focus the lens, maybe some gear inside is broke? I've not used a DSLR before so I don't have any knowledge of their workings. I do know that one would prefer a fast lens for the 28-50mm range, less depth of field but easier to take fast pics in low light.

I would like to stay with the 28-80mm for now and perhaps add a telephoto later. I've looked at the used selections on ebay but am not sure which lens will fit my particular camera. Some sellers do mention the Rebel XS 1000, is this what I should be looking for?

Not looking for world class photos, just want to have some fun, experiment and get use to using this camera and try my hand at taking decent pics. Any suggestions on lens, perhaps like the Sigma? The key question would be if I can use an adapter on this camera to allow me to use other lens.

I've read a little bit about adapters one would use to get a larger selection of lens. I could ask the eBay seller and hope he has knowledge about such but there is much more experience and wisdom here. Not looking for a expensive lens, what might be a fair range, $25 to $100 for used? Haven't look at prices for new lens but if someone wants to point out some lens, I will consider them.

I know this is a couple of months old, but in the event the OP is notified of a response and decides to come back or if someone else has a similar question:

You can use any Canon EF mount lens with your camera. I have the next iteration of your camera, the Rebel XSi. I think maybe only one of my lenses is made specifically for crop sensors (Canon EF-S). If you want to stay in the 28-80mm range, have a look at Tamron's 177D. Decent lens, can be had on the cheap used, and an all around decent performer that seems to lean more towards outdoor use than indoor.

If you're interested in birding, you're definitely going to want something that goes out to 400mm at a minimum. My longest lens is 300mm (Canon 75-300 kit lens) and it's simply not enough. I have to get fairly close up on birds to get decent shots and that's really not possible all the time.

IMG_1163lr.JPG

I shot this with the Canon 75-300. You can lose some sharpness in the center when using full frame lenses on an APS-C camera, but you can still manage some good pictures.

I have about half and half Canon and Tamron lenses with one Yongnuo 50mm prime lens for good measure. I do like the Tamron lenses and will typically use them whenever I can (my longest Tamron is an 80-210mm). My plan is to invest in one of their 400mm telephoto lenses in the near future, and it will likely be an EF mount as my plan is to ultimately get into a full frame Canon camera and I'd like to be able to keep using the lenses I have.

(edit, I just checked: my lone EF-S lens is a Canon 18-55mm with Image Stabilizer)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back