Epson 3800 Printing Problems ?

scomeau1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just upgraded from a Epson 1400 to Epson 3800.

The problem that I have is the photo's printed on the 1400 are much more glossy than the ones printed on the Epson 3800.

I have tried just about every print setting I can think of and nothing works to get the Epson 3800 to print glossy photo's like the Epson 1400.

Seeing the Epson 3800 is a much better printer than the Epson 1400

I can't understand what the problem could be ?

I like to hear any ideas or views you have to help me.

Thank You !

Scott

The 1400 uses dye inks, the 3800 uses pigmented inks. Dye inks sink in to the gloss layer, pigmented inks sit on top of it, affecting the glossiness of the surface.

I overcoat my prints with Krystal Topkote, but that requires a second printer. An alternative is to use a spray-on or brush-on coating. If you want more details of this process I will explain further. I have two 3800s and one 1400 at the moment.

Best,
Helen

The 1400 uses dye inks, the 3800 uses pigmented inks. Dye inks sink in to the gloss layer, pigmented inks sit on top of it, affecting the glossiness of the surface.

I overcoat my prints with Krystal Topkote, but that requires a second printer. An alternative is to use a spray-on or brush-on coating. If you want more details of this process I will explain further. I have two 3800s and one 1400 at the moment.

Hi Helen,

Thanks for then reply, Yes if you can give me more detail on how to use a spray-on or brush-on coating process that would be great, I can't see me buying another 3800 at the price of 1250.00.

Question, do you think the print setting I listed is close to what they should be ?

My Epson 3800 printer setting are:

1) Application used: Photoshop CS3
2) Paper used: Epson Premium Photo Paper - Glossy
3) Print Driver:

Print Document Box: Profile Adobe RGB 1998
Color Handing: Photoshop Manages Colors
Rending Intent: Relative Colorimatric
Blackpoint Point: On
Matchprint Colors: On
Show Bounding Box On
Printer Color Managment: ICM
Image On