Epson 4490 for 35mm ... good enough?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone here have an Epson 4490? I'm seeing some pretty good prices here in Canada for this particular scanner and I'd like to see how it handles scanning 35mm colour negatives and slides as compared scanning my prints using my cheap scanner I currently have.

Samples, anyone?

Found it for 132.00 on amazon. I think I'm going to pick one up. I've been wanting to do my own scans, and with the quality you just showed... Good nuff for me.

Thanks, those look pretty good. What film do you use? Can you show a sample at 100%?

I use different types of film depending on my mood when i'm at the store buying it.. i'll have to get a 100% sample when I get home, but I can tell you I print at 8x10 (or 8.5x11) often with great results. That's as big as I can print though, so i'm not sure about anything bigger.

I think the film in that set consists of, Ilford HP5+, Arista Premium 400, Kodak Portra (160nc, 400vc) Fujicolor 200, Fuji Superia, Kodak Ektar 100, and some cheap 99¢ store film.

I've heard a lot of good things about that Epson. Although truth be told, it's irrelevant what you get, just about any negitive enabled scanner will be better than scanning prints. I say go for it if the price is right.

I only scan at 1200dpi, because, well, that's all I need. So keep that in mind while viewing these.

here's a 100% detail of this

01_100.jpg

and here's a 100% detail of this

12_100.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back