Epson Paper and Nature Photography

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by JLEphoto, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JLEphoto

JLEphoto TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My wife just got me an Epson R1900 printer. My photograph’s revolve around Nature/Wildlife photography. Does anyone know what paper works best? There are so many.... Ultra Premium Luster, Ultra Premium Matte, Ultra Premium Gloss, Velvet, Fine Art and so on.....

I do want high quality paper to go with my printer so keep that in mind when responding.

So, what works for you?

Thanks!!!!!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not a matter of what paper is best...it's a matter of what paper you like best.

You can usually get a sample pack of different papers...so all you have to do is try out some different ones and see for yourself.

3. lbridges

lbridges TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you should try one of the variety packs and see what works best for you. I don't personally like the Ultra Premium Matte (I probably have 45 sheets left from a box of 50 13X19 that I'll likely never use - if you find your way up to Brevard county I'd be willing to almost give it away). I do like the 5-star luster surface. I think you have to ask yourself if your prints will be viewed from under glass, or maybe taken out of a box and held in someone's hand, etc., as each choice may impact the "best" answer.

Not on the 1900, but perhaps worth reading anyway is Eric Chan's take on landscape prints made with the 3800: My Favorite Papers for the Epson 3800

4. JLEphoto

JLEphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the answers. If I were going to frame it behind glass whAt would you suggest and why?

5. lbridges

lbridges TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mounting behind glass defeats some of the purpose of using a gloss paper. However, the more gloss, it usually follows there is the widest gamut from black to white. Gloss paper sometimes have their own problems with something called 'bronzing'. And then some people don't like the look of gloss behind glass. So for high quality landscape, mounted behind glass, I'd look for the widest gamut, low glass paper I could find.

Which means, assuming you lack color profiling capability, I would look to Epson's Velvet Fine Art paper - there are probably others as good (maybe better), but with an Epson printer, much of the work for profiling is already accomplished.

6. namaste_lv

namaste_lv TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit