Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spent this morning shooting a local amateur equestrian event. A The lighting was friggin' horrible and WB was almost impossible, but overall, I think the results are at least acceptable. s I'm not a 'horsey' person, I would greatly appreciate any input on composition, crops, etc.

Horse_show%20(3).jpg

Horse_show%20(5).jpg

Horse_show%20(5A).jpg

Brakes work... you wanna check the lights?

Horse_show%20(6).jpg

Horse_show%20(7).jpg

This young lady was amazing; she looked to be about 9-10, and very small, but she rode that horse like no one's business!

Horse_show%20(8).jpg

What part of "More sugar cubes or no jumps" didn't you understand????

Horse_show%20(9).jpg

The whitest white horse I have ever seen; looked like she'd been done over in blanco!

Horse_show%20(9A).jpg

Make sure you get my good side!

Horse_show%20(10).jpg

Horse_show%20(11).jpg

Those are great, I enjoyed looking at them. I like the horse hats.

You caught some very interesting action.
Where was this and how do you find venues and dates of events?

Those are great, I enjoyed looking at them. I like the horse hats.
Thanks JC! :)
You caught some very interesting action.
Where was this and how do you find venues and dates of events?
Thanks Brian! This was a referral from a girl who'd posed for my 'Senior Photography' advertising package.

You caught some nice action. A few of them need to be straightened. As far as image quality #4 looks nice the rest don't look that good. I'm sure do to bad lighting or the fact that I don't have a calibrated monitor

I've been to a horse show and photographed it so I know how *hard* this is. I like them, you did really well. I especially love the funny and "story" ones. Well done.

Great shots.
Number 8 is my kind of horse.

My only real complaint isn't something you could control. It's the location.
It's to bad that the barn is in all the shots. Inside event? Would have been a totally different set outside with a field as the background but again you can change that.

You caught some nice action. A few of them need to be straightened. As far as image quality #4 looks nice the rest don't look that good. I'm sure do to bad lighting or the fact that I don't have a calibrated monitor
Thanks Mike. Lighting was crap. Very dark and a what there was was a mix of sodium vapour, sunlight, and sunlight filtered through two colours of fibrelass light panels...

I've been to a horse show and photographed it so I know how *hard* this is. I like them, you did really well. I especially love the funny and "story" ones. Well done.
Thanks Barb... definitely not the easiest shoot in the world, but a lot of fun!

Great shots.
Number 8 is my kind of horse.

My only real complaint isn't something you could control. It's the location.
It's to bad that the barn is in all the shots. Inside event? Would have been a totally different set outside with a field as the background but again you can change that.
Yep, indoor event; it was supposed to be outside, but they moved it inside at the last minute.

Lighting was crap. Very dark and a what there was was a mix of sodium vapour, sunlight, and sunlight filtered through two colours of fibrelass light panels...
That explains your issues. Just instal magic lantern and use the WTF! white balance feature. :p

Lighting was crap. Very dark and a what there was was a mix of sodium vapour, sunlight, and sunlight filtered through two colours of fibrelass light panels...
That explains your issues. Just instal magic lantern and use the WTF! white balance feature. :p
Dude, you know better than that. It comes nowhere NEAR explaining my issues! :lol:

I think that backgrounds are too bland and bright and cool

a hasty mask on a laptop while watching tv.
Excellent point, and I may process some of them further along those lines, but with something in the order of 150 images, I'll wait and see which, if any of the images participants may be interested in before investing too much time.

Your focusing on the horse. It helps if you move your focus point. I have my camera so it maintains different spots for vertical and horizontal. It is a tough situation and did pretty well.

Most reactions

Back