Equiment needed for Infrared pictures?

Meysha I called Allchromes today and they said they don't officially do Kodak HIE film. They can develop it in their darkroom, but they don't have the specified developer. They've had mixed results there. Apparently the other shop doesn't do HIE film either.

So back to photocontinental it is :(

Process the film yourself. It isnt that hard or expensive (well, startup might be) but if you plan on shooting it often you will appreciate the consistency of your negs and not worry about the lab botching it.

startup costs have long kept me from doing this. Plus i have no suitable dark room, etc. We'll soon see if it's something I find worth taking shots in again :D

Hi all.

Ive finally got my HIE developed. Took it home to look at the negs then went back and got a couple of prints of what i hoped were going to be the best results.

All was well except very grainy. Had them printed as 8 x 6.

Would i be right in thinking that i just need to bring the shutter speed right down to rectify this? I was using around about 1/30 sec.

As far as ISO goes. I tried all different combinations of ISO shutter and f-stop.

I agree with 360, the prints i made were slightly (very slightly) over exposed.

I want to ask a question though. Although i made notes of everything when i took the shots im having doubts of what i wrote. The two that i had printed (which are very similar, almost identical results) were shot as follows:

1 - Using the camera meter without the lens, at ISO 400, fit the hoya r72 filter and shoot.

2 - Metered using camera THROUGH the filter at ISO 400 shot with filter on.

Is this possible that i got the same results with the two different methods?

Just to slear up terri. Do you mean you set to ISO 360 then meter throught through the filter? Or do you meter without and then add the filter?

Just to slear up terri. Do you mean you set to ISO 360 then meter throught through the filter? Or do you meter without and then add the filter?
I'm sorry for the confusion. Whenever I babble about HIE, I try to mention that I use an old Pentax ME and always meter TTL - filter ON. I set my ISO at 360 and always use a #25 red filter. I meter and shoot normally unless I am in a landscape situation with lots of green foliage, then I use my exposure compensating wheel at 1/2 x to bracket my shots.

I have always had good luck with HIE metering this way.

I have found the development of HIE the hardest thing about it. I like to use TMax developer with distilled water, and very gentle agitation - no more than once a minute, for 6 minutes at room temp, which I believe keeps the grain down. I still have gotten pinholes this way, though. It's pretty reliable, but nothing's infallible.

No question, the stuff can be tricky! ;)

GRRRRRR! Terri I'm sooo annoyed at myself. I was all ready to go and load my camera with the HIE stuff... I'd even gone down to a local photoshop to use their darkbag to load it in,,, then I'm juuuust about to ask if I can use their bag when I realise, I wont be able to use this film! :-( Coz my camera's a canon and it's got the infrared sensor thingy in it, and would've ruined the film.

Lucky I remembered before I loaded the film!!! So now I've got to buy a camera. :-( hang on that should be.... So now I've got to buy a camera :mrgreen:

Meysha said:
GRRRRRR! Terri I'm sooo annoyed at myself. I was all ready to go and load my camera with the HIE stuff... I'd even gone down to a local photoshop to use their darkbag to load it in,,, then I'm juuuust about to ask if I can use their bag when I realise, I wont be able to use this film! :-( Coz my camera's a canon and it's got the infrared sensor thingy in it, and would've ruined the film.

Lucky I remembered before I loaded the film!!! So now I've got to buy a camera. :-( hang on that should be.... So now I've got to buy a camera :mrgreen:
I've not had to test this theory, but apparently the risk of fogging from the IR film advance sensors is limited to the sprocket holes. The best way to ensure it stays there is to compose your shot, then "step back" to give yourself a bit more cropping area in each frame, should there be any fogging infringement into the frame.

But again - I've not personally tested this theory and continue to use my old ME (since I can still use all my new Pentax glass with that cam).

It was also a great excuse to outfit the Zeiss Contaflex system with more lenses than what it came with. :mrgreen: I should be shot, really, for not having run any HIE through that camera yet. ;)

Keep us posted, girl! :D

Terri, what would the fogging look like? Would it look like 'light leaks' but in more of a vignetting fashion at the bottom and top of the frame?

It's just that, if I can expect that to happen, I could use it to my advantage... or try to at least. I think I better find some examples of people actually doing it, before I blow the month's budget on it. Everything film is so expensive in Oz!

Fogging is seeing areas of white haze over the film. I suppose there are instances where it could look artsy, like we like our Holga vignetting and the occasional well-placed light leak. ;) But fogging is a mark of inappropriately exposed film and you can't really predict where it will show up, and sometimes it "light pipes", running a lot further than you think it will.

If you want to try it with your newer camera, just g'wan and do it. ;) I really need to run some through my Pentax MZ, too, just to see how bad it might be. Like I said, I would compose my shot, then step back a little to allow for cropping if the fogging leaks into the frame.

AHHHHHH. Terri if you would have said earlier you develop it with a diluted TMax developer I would have dropped it into allchromes. They told me the best they can do is use a TMax developer and hope for the best. But now my photos are already in the mail to the southside :S

Anyway if you haven't already guessed the film is finished. I took all pictures at ISO330 I think. My camera only has 2 ISO settings between 200 and 400. And took 3 pictures +/- 1 stop. I can't wait to get the film back :D

/EDIT: Diluted not distilled :S

Let us know how they turn out, Garbz. If you really want it developed in TMax, you might could call these people and tell them 1:4 in distilled water is what you're after. :bigangel: Probably too late, but it will be interesting to see how they do for you.

If you are even halfway pleased with the results, you should buy a tank and develop at home. Especially when using a changing bag, any interior closet after sundown is a good enough darkroom to load the film. Tust me on that. :lol:

that's exactly how it was loaded. :) Anyway films gone, will be back next week with the results ...

Most reactions

Back