Equipment Bag Recommendation

Joe549

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now that I have a DSLR, I need to get a new equipment bag. Any good recommendations? I am looking for one that will meet the following:

* Back pack style, with good padded straps. Preferably large enough for full back coverage.

* Large enough to carry 2 full cameras with lenses attached (DSLR w/ 18-55 lens and 35mm SLR w/ 28-84 lens), Extra lenses (50-205mm, 500mm mirror), pockets/pouches for extra film, batteries ets. Owners mauals, flash(es), cleaning kits, lens filters)

* Comfortable to be able to wear for extended periods of time

* Weather/water proof

Take a look at a Lowepro Slingshot 200. I am able to keep 2 DSLRs with the lenses attached along with 2- 70-300 in the main area and all sorts of chargers and stuff in the other areas.

I just took mine to Jamaica last month and most days I had all that stuff on my back for hours at a time without any discomfort. The backpack has a strap that goes across your chest which takes a few hours to get use to.

Note- While mine did not get any water in it when it rained a few times I am not sure if the bag is sold as being waterproof.

When I want to take it all with me (which is actually pretty frequently), I use my Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II. This thing's got CAPACITY! And yet, I find it very comfortable, even on long hikes, and I'm 50 years old. Here I am with it:

Buck_backpack_DSC00647.jpg

It's got lumbar support, nice and comfortable padded shoulder straps, the chest strap and padded hip straps. Very well engineered, it basically is supported by the cushy, comfortable well-padded hip straps/waist belt system, while the rest of the harness keeps it in place. The shoulders and neck don't get wore out that way. I've even got a 3 legged collapsible stool strapped onto that thing. :thumbup:

Here I am with it at Yosemite:

Buck_tripod_DSC00754.jpg

Buck_tripod_DSC00759.jpg

For outings that don't require the full compliment of gear and gadgets, I have a lightweight hunter's backpack I picked up for $20 with a game pouch underneath that I've padded inside to fit a smaller compliment of gear and supplies.

And when I want to go with even less, I use a couple of fanny-pack style waist belt bags, and hang a couple of large lens carrying cases off my belt.

Oh yeah, and I've taken my big bag on planes and stuffed it in the overhead compartment too, btw, but without the stool and tripod on it. It's got its own rain hood and special water-resistant zippers, but I don't think I'd try to completely submerge it. In rain and other assorted weather, it's kept my gear dry and safe.

I went to Henry's and spent about 40 minutes going through and comparing different bags and I wound up choosing the Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW. Of all the bags that I looked at that were also in my price range this one was the best choice for having most everything I was looking for, plus it was also on sale. I can carry all my gear in it less the tripod, which I rarely ever use anyways. I can't however store both my DSLR and 35mm SLR with lenses attached which is ok because I won't have to take apart and cap the 35mm if I want to use that lens that I normally keep on it on my digital. I would have preferred 2 shoulder straps but the waist strap works well.

There are enough pockets that I can store 2 35mm SLR bodies w/o lenses, 1 DSLR w/lens, 500mm mirror lens, 28-84 mm, 75-205mm telescopic + 2x matched multiplier, and a flash. The upper pocket can hold film, filters, cleaning supplies, etc, etc.

I like this Tamrac Expedition Series, they're a bit expensive once you get above the Expedition 5 though.

http://tamrac.com/Cat_09_ExpeditionSeries.pdf

I wanted to get the 8 or the 9 and they are twice what i paid for my 5, just gonna have to save another month or two.

P.S. Buckster, you need a taller tripod...

I have a slingshot 200 AW.

When I fill the bag with my day citywalking gear (1 dSLR with grip, Tamron 28-75 attached, Canon 10-22, Canon 55-200, Canon 430EX II, various accessories), my back ends up hurting after a 3-4 hours. If I walkaround lighter (camera, 2 lenses), its great.

I find the 1 shoulder design is very practicle to get gear out quick, but the comfort is gone when you have too much stuff. I would hate to have a slingshot 300 fully stocked on my back for 3-4 hours.

I like the AW bag, it has been used a few times and I was damn happy I had it.

I don't like how there is no tripod mount. I either carry my tripod in my hand or have to bring another bag, which defeats the quick access of the bag as i'm fuddling with 2 bags now.

For longer walks, I prefer the Lowepro Primus AW. Can't carry a huge amount of gear (but I do bring all my gear above in the lower compartment), but has a big area up top for jacket, lunch and other stuff... plus a tripod attachment and many straps to make it really comfortable. Have worn it for 5-6 hour treks without issues.

Most reactions

Back