Equipment Plans

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by righteous_bucks, Oct 9, 2009.

1. righteous_bucks

righteous_bucks TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I just bought my first slr camera ever, a Canon 20d, and I'm pretty excited about it! And since I'm excited I've been looking at different equipment to go with it, so here are the things I'm wanting as of now:

- Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
    - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS
    - Canon EF 28mm f2.8

- Set of Kenko Extension Tubes

- Lens hood for each lens, because I've read they help block unwanted light on the lens, and I like the look of them ;)

- Polarizing filters for when I need them

- Canon Speedlite 220EX Flash
    - An off-camera flash cord

- Tripod

This list may change, and probably will, but this is all I'm looking forward to right now. Some of the items may be cheaper, but that's because I'm not wanting to spend $400 yet on a lens since I'm just starting. Anyway, I'm going to get the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens first. :)

How's this list look to everyone?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I assume you already have the 18-55mm lens with the camera?

The 50mm F1.8 is a good option, if only because it's so affordable.
    I haven't heard much about the 28mm F2.8, I think it's an older lens, I'm not even sure if they make it anymore. I would probably skip this one.

If you can stretch your budget for the 430EX flash, I think you'd like that one better than the 220EX.

An off-camera 'hot shoe' cord is usually only a couple feet. Good for when you are using a bracket, but not great for 'off camera lighting'. If you want to really get into off camera flash, I'd suggest a radio trigger set. You can get a Cactus V4 set for $40.

I know what you mean, we have all been there...actually most people are still there, in one way or another.

Consider though, that if you move forward with your photography, you will likely want to upgrade your lower quality gear...which is going to cost you more in the long run. If you buy something that is good quality, it will cost more up front, but you will probably use it a lot longer and be less likely to upgrade from it.

3. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, though the 220 EX is an improvement to the old non-swivels, the 430 EX II is a big upgrade, can swivel a lot more, is higher and is more powerful. :)

4. righteous_bucks

righteous_bucks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the response!
    No, my 20d came body only, so I'm looking at the 50mm f1.8 as my first lens. I've read tons of reviews on it and most people say it's a great lens that takes sharp pictures and can take pictures in low light situations. Here are a few pictures I came across taken with this lens:

http://www.karls-photography.co.uk/waterfalls/54.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/3258392883_27caac4b64_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2751559670_7b19532cd6.jpg
    YSP toadstool on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The main complaint with this lens that I've found, is that it's not wide enough in some situations, and that's where the 28mm f2.8 comes in. I've read that this lens is also pretty sharp for it's price, and even compares pretty close to the 28mm f1.8, which is like twice as much. Also, personal reviews seem pretty good for it, the average rating I saw from people was either 4 or 5 stars out of five for both value and overall, sometimes a 3 on rare occasion.

As for the 430ex, I'm really not planning on doing much flash photography as of now, so I just wanted something simple, but still nice, and since the 220ex is about half the price or less, that's definitely a plus too for a college kid on a budget! :) Oh, and I've found a off-camera hot shoe cord that's coiled at 5 ft, and stretched at 25ft

5. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would recommend forgoing the 28mm And getting some sort of "kit" lens.

Either the 18-55, not great quality but inexpensive, should be less than $100 maybe even $50.

The 17-85, Pretty good quality and a really nice range, but a bit more money.

Or step up to the Tamron 17-50, very sharp wide open, big 2.8 aperture, and quick focus. This is a great lens, for a pretty good price @ $450.

The 50mm 1.8 is a good choice for the money.

The 55-250 is an all around good lens, but if money is tight and it comes down to this or a shorter zoom, I would go for one of the lenses I have listed above.

As for the 220ex, If you aren't planning on using flash a whole lot, I would ship this flash. If you are planning an using flash a lot, I would still skip this flash.

It might be better to hold off on the flash for the moment, You can do a lot with a 50mm 1.8, and ISO1600 on a 20D and not use flash. If and when you do want to move into some flash photography, A Vivitar 285HV and some cactus triggers provide a lot of power and versatility for the price. If you do want TTL I would recommend the 430EX at least.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Pass on the Kenko extension tubes.

Personally, I would just get the 50mm f/1.8 and go out shooting. You'll slowly figure out what you really need. There is no big rush.

Opinions here will be based on our own shooting habits and don't necessarily reflect yours.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    oh btw... I have no idea if the 28mm f/2.8 is optically good BUT it is close to a focal length I use often while on the street (24mm actually). So in my case, I would have probably gotten it.. especially if it is a good price used.

That's just me though...