Equipment question

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now, I have a Promaster EF 80-210mm f4.5-5.6. Its worth about $90.

What I wanted to do was sell that, buy an XTI body, and buy a (maybe faster) higher quality wide-telephoto EF lens (instead of getting the kit lens for the XTi).

My question: does anyone know of any EF lenses that run around $200? The faster the better. Maybe a step up from the kit lens? I'd like, maybe, one of those all around lenses that go from wide to telephoto.

Thanks

edit: I should say I also have a 50mm f1.8.

edit 2: What about this? f3.5-4.5, USM, and macro:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...34&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

About what zoom range are you looking at? There are plenty f choices in the sub $200 range, but your going to have to settle for a f4 if your sticking with canon lenses. Sigma makes several great lenses in that price range that are f3.5.

the first thing to understand is that fast, zoom, and cheap cant not all be used together. We all have to deal with that fact, as hard as it is :( .

What will you be shooting? or what kind of focal length range are you looking for? That will help narrow it down.

I'm thinking about 28-105mm. I will be shooting pretty much anything I find is picture-worthy. I will also use this lens for shooting school events (plays, pep rallies, other miscalaneous events) which have some movement to them that I would like to freeze (i.e. hand gestures).

Thanks

The XT is still a great body. there are a few things that it lacks from the XTi, but nothing that will prevent you from taking great pictures.

As for that lens, it is no doubt a good lens, but the IS wont help you freeze the action. All IS does is allow you to shoot a slower shutterspeed handheld, but if your subject is moving, only a faster shutterspeed will correct that blur.

while an f/2.8 lens may be expensive, it is going to be your best way to combat blurring, and will allow you to shoot handheld because it lets more light in. f/4 continuous (meaning not an f/4-5.6) may be a good compromise.

EDIT: here are some you may want to consider

Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Autofocus Lens
$229.95
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8454&A=details&Q=&sku=206434&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
just like the one that you picked out but without IS. Really only useful to save money.

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
$329
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8454&A=details&Q=&sku=352403&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
While this doesnt have the range you were originally looking for, it has a good range to allow most kinds of photographer, with the telephoto side of 70 being a nice portrait length.

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro DF Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
$429
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8454&A=details&Q=&sku=350973&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
Here is another lens that goes slightly wider than the previous lens (24mm) and has "macro" ability, but really it wont let you get too much closer than the one before will.

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
$369 after rebate (379 before)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=8454&A=details&Q=&sku=284399&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
This lens gives you a little extra on the telephoto end while still having the 28mm wide angle. You'll have to decide which you prefer most

All of these lenses are 2.8 max aperture meaning youll be letting in a lot more light and can therefore use faster shutter speeds, controlling both camera shake as well as subject movement.

Just something to think about.

Thanks SO much for your thorough response. I didn't realize that IS wouldn't stop motion blur. I think I'm going to go with the non-IS version (first on your list). Perhaps I can swing the XTi...:wink:

Or maybe I should get a lens with 2.8 max aperture and the XT. Ahh, I have somethinking to do.

Again, Thanks.

Thanks SO much for your thorough response. I didn't realize that IS wouldn't stop motion blur. I think I'm going to go with the non-IS version (first on your list). Perhaps I can swing the XTi...:wink:

Or maybe I should get a lens with 2.8 max aperture and the XT. Ahh, I have somethinking to do.

Again, Thanks.

Yeah, IS is to prevent camera shake. It is great for less than optimal lighting while shooting hand held though.

I recommend you research how canon users feel about each lens to make sure they are quality enough for you, and make your decision from there. But as a fair warning, using fast glass (like the 2.8s) will turn you into a camera snob and you'll hate using slower glass. With my pentax 50mm 1.4 I cant stand using the kit lens (for wide angles, f/3.5) or the telephotos ranging from 4-5.6. of course sunny days it doesnt matter, but nothing beats poor light photography like a fast lens. Not to mention the DOF you can get that wide.

but for what its worth and for the type of shooting you'll be needing (anything that isn't lit by the bright sun basically) the XT with a 2.8 lens would probably do better. of course if all the school activites are outside you wont have a problem with shutterspeed as long as it is sunny.

Most reactions

Back