erasing parts of a photo

quad b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i was wondering how to delete, erase, remove, or whatever you want to call it, a part of a photo. I took a shot at the football the other day, and to my dismay someone's head or a fuzzy microphone or something was in the frame. because the action was fast and moving, i couldn't have reshot the scene. i don't really want to crop it out because it would leave a pretty tight crop that i dont want.

any tips?

here's the photo, i want to get rid of the microphone on the right bottom corner. can i do that?

football1.jpg

football1.jpg

you can probally do a better job that was just 5 minutes

luckily you didnt get any of the soccer plays covered.

Feel free to use my version if you want for w/e you want

Quad, are you using Photopshop or have access to it?

It looks like DeepS had used a clone tool to 'Clone' some grass from part of the picture to the bit on the mic area.

You can just see a couple of areas wher he has some mirroring of the clone, understand he did it quick retouch.

You need to take your time, clone from several areas to avoid paterns building up.

Try to use areas that are similar in tonal value and depth of field, it will save you over using the blur tool to make it match < no pun.

Handy that that part of the picture is blurred.

If you over use the clone from a small selection area it will appear blurred

Once I have the base part I tend to 'Touch it up' using the clone at a dropped percentage.

From experience and apologies if you do this anyway:-

Keep the orginal image on one layer and copy the image onto a new or several layers for retouch. AT any point you then alwas go back to the original picture.

Don't save the flattened file over your PSD version as you might need to go back and do more work on the retouch.

Save your work every 5-10 mins or a what ever intervals you will become frustrated if the program or your machine locks and you loose work done.

Enjoy your self and experiment, rememeber you have the original so you can always revert to it.

Hope this helps

yeah, i've got photoshop 6. I've never done a clone before though. Do I just select an area to paste over the microphone. Is that basically it?

Yep. Just hold down the alt key and click something to copy (piece of grass), let off the alt key and click where you want it.

oh wow, that's cool. i just had a quick go and it worked a treat. thanks for your help guys.

something else that can work for other pictures if you have a larger area to change, copy a section of good area make a new photo the same size and paste it as the background layer and then paste your image on top. Then erase the section you want gone and blend the 2 layers together

757724341_l.jpg

757724341_l-1.jpg

thats an example of a pic i did with that method, with teh clone tool it was too hard to align the bricks correctly (and that was a fast job i know it can be better)

DeepSpring said:
thats an example of a pic i did with that method, with teh clone tool it was too hard to align the bricks correctly (and that was a fast job i know it can be better)
for perspective cloning you can use a new feature in Photoshop CS2 called "Vanishing Point" (under the "Filter" menu)... and it all becomes very very easy (it lets you use use both the clone tool and the healing tool)... and it will look better too :) here's what I mean:
brick-wall.jpg

Most reactions

Back