Eric is buying a D50!

EBphotography

TPF Junkie!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Unless I go to the store after Christmas and say, "Wow, this feels like crap in my hands", I will most likely be buying a D50!

I will be buying it from Ritz probably, and they have several lens packages to consider.

Package A: D50 + Nikkor 28-80mm F/3.3-5.6 G Lens. $499.00

Note: If I were to buy this package A, I would also buy a 50mm prime lens with it.

Package B: D50 + Kit 18-55mm lens. $699.00

Package C D50 + 2 Lenses: Nikkor 28-80mm F/3.3-5.6 G Auto Focus Zoom Lens/ 70-300mm F4-5.6 'G' Autofocus Zoom Lens Specifications

As far as what I shoot, I do a lot of wildlife photos, some landscapes, but I also use it for a lot of family events too. Basically I don't have a real theme, I shoot all over the place! I'm really not sure which package to buy, the 70-300mm lens tempts me. Even though it's slow, in bright light would it be ok for some sports photography? I do that too, for my school. And if I got a 50mm prime that would be nice for indoor sports, since gyms have bad lighting systems. Regardless of which package I got, I would probably end up getting a 50mm, because they aren't very expensive and very practical. Thanks for your help. :thumbup:

I would get package B.

In my opinion...28mm on a 1.5x sensor crop is not nearly wide enough for many situations. Indoor family shots, landscape etc. That's why they made those kit lenses...to give us back our 'normal' range zoom lens.

So getting the 18-55 kit lens would be the best option. Plus, if you throw in a 50mm F1.8...that will make a nice set.

Thanks Mike.

Good point about the sensor crop. Just how much wider is a 15mm to a 28mm? My current digital has a 38-380mm equivalent lens, and that seems to work fine for me, but I'm honestly not sure what the sensor crop is on that? So many things to consider when making the transition!

The 38-380mm is equivalent to 35mm film...so that same field of view on a D50 would need a 25-253mm. So that's not actually that far off from the 28mm of the 28-70mm.

I guess I'm biased...I like wide...and I often find that 18mm on my 20D is not always wide enough for every day type stuff.

Thanks again, can I ask what formula or chart you are using to make these conversions? For the sake of your PM box, obviously. ;)

Well...when a digi-cam lists it's focal length equivalent...I believe that it's standard to use 35mm film as the comparison. So the numbers you gave me 28-380 aren't the actual focal lengths of your digi-cam...just the 35mm film equivalent.

Nikon DSLR cameras have a crop factor of 1.5 (as compared to 35mm film cameras). So to get the same Field of View as 38-380...you would need a lens that is 25-253mm.

Does that make any sense?

If you are interested in wildlife photography definatly go with a longer lense minimum 200mm but you'll probably want even more 300mm should be good. Im not really into wildlife stuff but I was out shooting some landscapes one day and saw a bunch of deer. I took out my 200mm and started to shoot. I wish I had 300 at that time though because you cant get too close to the animals before they run. 80mm is not nearly long enough. A good start would be that two lense kit although as soon as you stray from the kit lenses and see the improved quality of better lenese you'll start replacing focal lengths you already have. If your really into photography and dont think this is just a phase spend the extra cash now on some lenses you'll be happy in the long run.

Thanks D-50!

Although I know this isn't a phase, there is only a certain amount of money I am willing to spend on my hobby, since I need to save for a car, college, etc.!

The 200mm would fit my needs, but I am still not sure about which I will choose. :p

Most reactions

Back