err 99... big problem?

mstephens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so last night i was doing some shots for a wedding rehearsal and all the sudden on my canon 40D i got a message on the display the said err 99. fortionatly i had my 20D with me as my backup body so i just grabbed it and started shooting. on my 40D i was using a canon 60mm f/2.8 macro and a 580 ex but all the contacts were clean. after about 20 mins passed i grabbed the 40D and it was working fine after removing and putting the batteries back in.

anyone have any ideas as to what err99 means? i have to shoot a wedding today at 3 so hopefully i will get some replies before then.

after about 20 mins passed i grabbed the 40D and it was working fine after removing and putting the batteries back in.
Sounds like the batteries are weak.

anyone have any ideas as to what err99 means? i have to shoot a wedding today at 3 so hopefully i will get some replies before then.
What does the user manual say?

Out of curiosity, I searched the internet. Apparently, you're not alone. According to Canon, an Error 99 means "communication error". Taking out the battery and waiting several minutes usually fixes the problem, however not always. If it doesn't, the camera may have to be fixed by a professional. Some have even had to ship their cameras to Canon for either replacement or repair. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

err99 can be from a hole host of issues that the cameras may have experianced nothing specific that err99 meens but it will have to be rebooted to fix it just like a pc needs to be rebooted

Most reactions

Back