Err, what name should I go by as a photog?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Ghoste, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Ghoste

Ghoste TPF Noob!

Ok so this is just more of a random question then a need to know question. My name is Brandon Michael Wright, and just kinda wondering as I start going into wedding photography and what not, what I should go by. It hasn't been a big deal as an assistant photographer and just messing around, but now I'm kinda wondering. Brandon Wright Photography would make the most sense. Just sounds wierd to me. I was actually thinking maybe Bright Photography as a compact version of my name. Anyways, I'm tired as all get out and I doubt anything I just said made sense. So off to sleep, then an 8 hour shoot tomorrow. It's a wedding at a house. So much better! Easier to eat more too ;)

2. bigfatbadger

bigfatbadger TPF Noob!

I like bright photography.

Also, BMW PHotography? People might think you just shoot pics of cars though

3. fotogenik

fotogenik TPF Noob!

Copyright issue on the BMW portion?

4. JamesD

JamesD Between darkrooms

BMW is trademarked, yes; however, since a photography business is clearly unrelated to Bayerische Motoren Werke, so I wouldn't think it's a problem. If it's an issue, try BM Wright, or Brandon M Wright, or some similar version. Ask a patent attorney; they're trained for this kinda stuff.

5. Luminosity

Luminosity No longer a newbie, moving up!

I've been thinking, lately, about a photog business name of my own...

With yours though, I like Bright Photography.

6. srobb

srobb TPF Noob!

It would be better, and safer, to check on any problems using BMW. I happen to like Bright Photography, also.

7. Protean

Protean TPF Noob!

Bright Photography sounds pretty decent to me

8. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

Photography the Wright way!

LWW

9. Boston®

Boston® TPF Noob!

I thought it was weird to used my name too when I started but you get used to it and just Brandon Wright Photography is the clearest, simplest, and easiest to recognize and relay to friends.

10. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i, too went the 'my name' direction. it was simple, and that's what i was going for. I was definitely not into the 'Beautiful Memories Photography' type warm-and-fuzzy names...I wanted to present myself as a business. There are benefits of not using your name, but they aren't considerable to me at this point. I think using your name would be good, although Bright Photography is nice. Heck, Wright Photography would work well too. It's easier to identify a photographer by a name than by some gimmick. Because then the client would be obliged to remember both.

11. forzaF1

forzaF1 Ultimate Ferrari Tifosi

Photos OK to edit
    I like Brandon Wright Photography. It sounds less corny than "Bright Photography."

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi there,
    BMW photography is a big NO ! You would be using a trademark (probably world wide) as part of your name which might cause more legal trouble than copyright issues.

Also it is misleading and hard to do a sensible web-search for if people are trying to find you on the internet.

Similarly, I personally would not encourage "Bright Photography" as is certainly a brilliant wordplay but it is probably far from being unique and distinctive. And I suppose you need something distinctive to stand out from all the others. Just a personal thought from someone with no experience in that field whatsoever ;)