Error on my new D70s

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
I got it yesterday morning, did a few test shots then photographed a gig in the evening without a single hitch.

I took a couple of photos this evening and after pressing the shutter the mirror opened but didn't close and the camera shut itself off. I had to take out the battery to get it going again. It happened a few times again using the manual (MSAP) modes so I tried using the pre programmed ones and it worked fine. I also tried different lenses but nothing changed. I switched back to manual and it had the error once more but I've now managed to get it working again! sighs*

This error happened a handful of times after using my F80 for 2 years but I'm concerned now having spent a lot of money on the camera and equipment AND buying it from overseas (with a warranty though). Seeing as the same error happened on 2 Nikon cameras that it's a Nikon thing. Anyone else had this happen? I reckon the best thing is to leave it for a few weeks and see if it's a "one off" which I sincerely hope it is!

Oh and is the D70s currently up to date with the latest firmware?

Thanks

I'm new to a DSLR and own a D70 that operates flawlessly. Your situation certainly doesn't sound "normal" because if it was, Nikon would be out of business. If your D70s is under warranty, I would seriously be thinking of having them look at it. It may be a simple fix but something is wrong... My .02 pesos.

I agree. *knock on wood* I haven't had that problem either with my D70 or my N70. I would have them take a look at it. The only time my mirror ever locks up is if I choose the option on the menu....but that's only when I want to clean the sensor.

hmm, well i need it for this weekend as i'm photographing a festival. i may have to resort to using the pre programmed modes which i don't really like using if the error keeps occurring.

damn.. that doesn't sound nice... I'd use my warranty here and check it. Maybe it is nothing serious.

Most reactions

Back