Essential accessories?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by potato, Mar 7, 2008.

1. potato

potato TPF Noob!

After reading a lot of threads here and reading reviews, I decided it's time for me to actually go to the store and hold the cameras before making the decision. Now since I'll be there anyway, if I decide on which camera to buy, I don't want to come out of the store without something that I really need to have, at the same time I'd hate to be talked into buying something that I really don't need by the salesperson. So what are those accessories I need to get from the start? I guess I would need to get a cleaning kit of some sort and a neck strap if it's not included. Thanks.

Oh, btw, I'm looking to buy my first DSLR camera.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I believe that they all come with a strap, a battery & charger, cords & basic software. What you will probably need to buy extra is a memory card.

There is nothing else that you really need, so it might be a good idea to just get the camera and start using it. After a while, you sill start to figure out what accesories you might want.

Top of my list would be a tripod and a circular polarizer. *edit* and I agee with Mav...a camera bag.

3. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A camera bag obviously, and a replacement camera strap. The ones that come with the camera suck, have little to no padding, and are just cheap advertising with their logos. I got some generic "Promaster" straps from my local pro shop and they're great. Lots of padding and very comfortable.

4. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Neck straps are included with Nikon gear. I don't know about "Brand C." Invest a few pennies in lens cleaning solution and lens paper. "Canned air" is also valuable for cleaning lenses. Don't EVER use eyeglass cleaning supplies - eyeglasses are not multi-coated. Don't be concerned about cleaning the sensor at this point in time.

About the only pricey extra that you really need immediately is a lens! We can give you some guidance if you first tell us what kind of pictures you want to make. If you're really uncertain, get a low-priced zoom "kit lens," with a range something like 18-55mm. Keep reminding yourself that the beauty of an SLR is that it's a system and you can add to it whenever you wish.

5. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was typing when your response was entered. I've always used the (unpadded) straps that come with the camera. In my case, I don't have the weight pulling on my neck for long periods of time. Obviously, the weight is relieved when I'm using the camera but also I have a habit of frequently carrying the camera as if no strap exists. However...

You've made me think. I just might get a padded strap, considering the weight of my new 18-200 VR lens.

6. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't agree with the tripod and the polarizer. For me, they're essential and, in fact, I just spent $175 for a 72 mm Hoya Pro-1 polarizer to use with my new lens. However, we don't know how the OP intends to use the camera. It just may be that he'll use it as a high-quality P&S camera for his kid's birthday party. (I'm not being critical - that's a valid use.)

7. WayneS

WayneS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a spare battery and more memory at the time of my purchase. Given the P&S's seem to eat batteries, I've been left high and dry a few too many times without a good set of batteries in the camera. Not sure if you'll need a spare with your SLR though, but might not be a bad idea if you plan on doing a lot of shooting and don't want to have to wait for the battery to charge. Think the battery on my D40X is good for around 600 shots, give or take. Although, don't think I took that many before it needed recharging. Took a few flash shots in there..

8. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've bought both of my dSLR bodies at a local camera shop. One thing I learned after buying the first body is that you can get most all your accessories on-line. Mind you, I had already researched prices on all the extras I wanted before I went into the shop. Because I am impatient at times and the fact that the camera shop was within an acceptable margin, coupled with the fact I like to support local, I went for many accessories from them. Oh, forgot to mention that the salesman was friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and have since developed a decent relationship with them. They may not know my name straight away, but they know my face and my gear.

The only suggestion I'd give is to get at least one memory card (2 gig) and possible a microfibre cloth to clean your lens. That will get you going immediately, assuming you have a card reader for downloading your photos to your computer. The rest of the stuff that you will want to get can be purchased on-line without the pressure of having to have everything right now.

There are a whole host of items that you may feel the need to get, but my first suggestions would be an extra battery, extra memory (I prefer several 2 gig cards) and possibly a blower (Giotto or similar).

Good luck and congrats.

9. potato

potato TPF Noob!

Thank you for the suggestions. I've read somebody talking about a "rocket blower" to clean lenses. Is that some kind of canned air?

I'll be mostly taking pictures of my dogs in dog parks and people and dogs and cats indoors to start with. And some dogs and cats. And did I mention dogs and cats?

Later on, who knows.

10. potato

potato TPF Noob!

I'm trying to learn photography, so I won't be using P&S - I have a Canon Elf for that. :blulsh2: :lol:

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Notice I said "Top of MY list" ;)

I've got two of these...great strap...and has a TPF logo to boot
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/tpfstraps/index.html

It's a type/brand of bulb blower...see HERE

12. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For me, a couple of very basic but essential things are some microfibre towels, and a Giotto Rocket Blaster (if you are getting a dSLR). An extra battery for the camera is wise as are 1-2 extra memory cards (fast ones if dSLR).

Don't forget a few packs of good rechargeable batteries and a recharger if you are getting a speedlight or flash.

Neckstraps come with 100% of all the dSLR cameras on the market today. The P&S cameras come with wrist straps for the most part. I did pick up a really nice neoprene neck strap for $40 and they are marvelous if you have a heavy lens/camera combo. I was walking around with a D200 w/battery grip, 2 batteries and an 18-200 for near 10 hours a day, and it was effortless. They do make you sweat a lot, though... but I did not mind at all.