Ethical Dilemma

Here's a question about the overexposure, since it seems to be a universal theme: Is it possible that I've developed this issue because I'm not printing with a professional printer?

I used to edit the photos until I thought they looked good, but then when I had them printed at Costco they would come out incredibly dark and muddy. The advice I was given at the time was to turn down the brightness of my monitor. I did that, and ever since what I see on the screen is very close to what I see printed (though still slightly darker.) My pictures do look too bright if I view them on my phone or tablet, but I always thought that was because those screens weren't calibrated. I do deliberately push pictures just beyond where I think they should be because I know that when they're printed, they'll be right. But if you all have calibrated monitors and it still looks too bright, could it be because I'm "calibrating" to an overly dark printer?

And Derrel, I actually never considered that about the Strobist or Joe McNally, but you're right on both counts. But the best thing they did for me was show that there is something beyond the "all natural light" photography that's being pushed so hard on the beginner's blogs. It seems there are so many people teaching photography that it's really hard to find trustworthy sources.

Anyway, thanks. I guess I thought I was a step above the people that got a DSLR for Christmas and a wedding booked for January 1st, but to pros it seems there isn't really a difference between us. It's disheartening, but maybe it's best to just stick to pictures of my own kids.

...Anyway, thanks. I guess I thought I was a step above the people that got a DSLR for Christmas and a wedding booked for January 1st, but to pros it seems there isn't really a difference between us. It's disheartening, but maybe it's best to just stick to pictures of my own kids.
Just by virtue of the fact that you recognize you're not an instant expert, you're already many steps ahead of that crowd! Remember: Photography is easy. Good photography isn't. In addition, there are is always more than one way to shoot something correctly. If Derrel and I were to both shoot the same family in the same setting we would probably each bring a different vision, different gear, and set things up in a different manner, and produce two distinctly different images, but they would both be good images.

Also remember that NO photographer was born an expert, and knowing what you know is important, but knowing what you don't know (and thus where to concentrate your efforts) is essential. One of the problems with the 'everyone has a nice camera' era is that MOST don't understand just how much effort it can take to produce quality images, and to know how to deal with different situations. Keep working at it, you'll get there!

Here's a question about the overexposure, since it seems to be a universal theme: Is it possible that I've developed this issue because I'm not printing with a professional printer?

I used to edit the photos until I thought they looked good, but then when I had them printed at Costco they would come out incredibly dark and muddy. The advice I was given at the time was to turn down the brightness of my monitor. I did that, and ever since what I see on the screen is very close to what I see printed (though still slightly darker.) My pictures do look too bright if I view them on my phone or tablet, but I always thought that was because those screens weren't calibrated. I do deliberately push pictures just beyond where I think they should be because I know that when they're printed, they'll be right. But if you all have calibrated monitors and it still looks too bright, could it be because I'm "calibrating" to an overly dark printer?

And Derrel, I actually never considered that about the Strobist or Joe McNally, but you're right on both counts. But the best thing they did for me was show that there is something beyond the "all natural light" photography that's being pushed so hard on the beginner's blogs. It seems there are so many people teaching photography that it's really hard to find trustworthy sources.

Anyway, thanks. I guess I thought I was a step above the people that got a DSLR for Christmas and a wedding booked for January 1st, but to pros it seems there isn't really a difference between us. It's disheartening, but maybe it's best to just stick to pictures of my own kids.

If your photos are looking different to you than they do to others, then you need to calibrate your monitor. This will near that you start from a genuinely neutral position. The printers at Costco etc may not be adequately calibrated or may be in a different colour space.

Recently, a friend approached me...

Then some other friends saw that I took the pictures and asked me to do theirs as well, then another, then another...

The problem is that I feel like I've stolen her clients out from under her...

You've not stolen clients. They came to you. You didn't steal them, she lost them.

It feels like I'm literally stealing money...

You're not stealing anything. You're not charging anyone anything.

Or I could start charging before I'm ready, but then I feel like I'm scamming my friends out of money just so I can practice on them.

Whether you get paid or not isn't up to you. That's entirely up to the customer. You may not think you're ready to charge, and it's laudable that you view your work with a critical eye. But, at the end of the day, the person who needs to be satisfied enough to give you money is the customer.

I'd recommend asking the first friend (after prefacing the discussion with "I'm not asking you to pay me") if the photos she received from you were photos that she would be comfortable paying a stranger for. Take "you" out of the equation, and you'll get an unbiased result.

Technical problems? Absolutely BUT! some very good stuff as well on the samples you put up for critique. Nice poses and smiling faces depicting a happy family make good memories for folks. Just a little bit of post-processing and those would be keepers for the family. Always remember you're creating memories for the family and if they like the product you've succeeded.

Most reactions

Back