Ethical Question: Editing photos on a computer...

How much is the infrared film, for how many feet? I could go to a site or two but I figure since your doing it you would know the best price on it.

Artemis said:
I dont see myself (I dont speak for others) as an artist...because im not artistic...I respect people who are...but art means very little to me, and I can never truly understand art

...because I am no where near as talented as an Artist...and although id like to be one...im not...

Don't believe the hype. The creative urge is part of being human; everyone is doing something. Some people get recognized and given celebrity status (often after they're dead), but most go unnoticed. You got to do what you got to do, because you got to do it :) If you worry about how other people label you then you'll fail.

I've posted this photographer's quote somewhere here recently, but it's one of my favorites, and I think it's apt...

"The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure, for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics." -Manuel Alvarez Bravo

This is indeed a subject that has been discussed to death. But even so, a few comments...
In my experience people fall into two groups - Artists and Technicians.
To an Artist the end justifies the means.
To a Technician the means is everything and the end isn't really important.
This is, of course, a very broad generalisation.

I wonder if anyone has stood beneath the ceiling of the Cistine chapel and thought 'it's not very good really - Michaelangelo has enhanced the colours a bit and I think he used the wrong brush for God's beard'.
I don't think so. So why do it to Photography?

Comparing an Artistic pursuit to carpentry is very misleading. The outcome of the later is generally intended to be practical. The outcome of former is, hopefully, Art which has no practical value whatsoever.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the reason why you do what you do. Whatever aspect of Photography you choose to explore it should give you pleasure (if it brings pleasure to others, even better) but you should never look down your nose at others who take a different route to the same goal. We are all brothers with a common interest and we all have something to contribute - and we can all learn from each other.

GerryDavid said:
When you do infrared film in the darkroom, do you use the same sort of chemicals/process as b&w film? And can you buy infrared film in bulk for a bulk loader like b&w film?

I use D-76 chemistry and expose the film at iso 400 and process it as the T-max 400iso speed. I like the grain. I only buy 36 exp. rolls. I have never ever bulk loaded, to easy to ruin the shots with dust and scratches.

http://www.airic.ca/html/infrared.html
You can see some of my infrared images at the above link.

Sorry for the delay in posting have not been in this section in awhile.

Eric

Hertz van Rental said:
This is indeed a subject that has been discussed to death. But even so, a few comments...
In my experience people fall into two groups - Artists and Technicians.
To an Artist the end justifies the means.
To a Technician the means is everything and the end isn't really important.
This is, of course, a very broad generalisation.

I wonder if anyone has stood beneath the ceiling of the Cistine chapel and thought 'it's not very good really - Michaelangelo has enhanced the colours a bit and I think he used the wrong brush for God's beard'.
I don't think so. So why do it to Photography?

Comparing an Artistic pursuit to carpentry is very misleading. The outcome of the later is generally intended to be practical. The outcome of former is, hopefully, Art which has no practical value whatsoever.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the reason why you do what you do. Whatever aspect of Photography you choose to explore it should give you pleasure (if it brings pleasure to others, even better) but you should never look down your nose at others who take a different route to the same goal. We are all brothers with a common interest and we all have something to contribute - and we can all learn from each other.

Against my teenage erges...I find that I must agree with my peer (SP?)
Well said Hertz

Hertz van Rental said:
I disagree with your thinking.

Since we live in the age of production and efficiency, the resources available to us are limited.

Thus, the contradiction appears:

Even the pursuit of an outcome with no practical value whatsoever, must be accomplished by the most efficient means possible.

Film tries to oppose this principle, and is therefore a dying species.

Even the pursuit of an outcome with no practical value whatsoever, must be accomplished by the most efficient means possible.
Sorry Doc, but I must respectfully disagree with this statement. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back